Alice Renavand Injured Mid-Retirement Performance (Paris Opera Ballet) and has another opportunity with Bolero

Quite a shocking turn of events on what was meant to be the Étoile’s final performance. During the second

act of Giselle (her first run of the role), Renevand sustained an injury. Leaving Sujet Bleuenn Battistoni at the helm.

In recognition of the unfortunate circumstances Aurélie Dupont and Alexander Neef (director of the Opera) have allowed Alice to return next season for a proper send-off. 

Here’s a video of the curtain call from that night, how sweet of Mathieu Ganio to carry Alice out to her audience!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgAfGyjI54U/?igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Alice Renavand Injured Mid-Retirement Performance (Paris Opera Ballet)
On 15/07/2022 at 22:48, LACAD said:

Quite a shocking turn of events on what was meant to be the Étoile’s final performance. During the second

act of Giselle (her first run of the role), Renevand sustained an injury. Leaving Sujet Bleuenn Battistoni at the helm.

In recognition of the unfortunate circumstances Aurélie Dupont and Alexander Neef (director of the Opera) have allowed Alice to return next season for a proper send-off. 

Here’s a video of the curtain call from that night, how sweet of Mathieu Ganio to carry Alice out to her audience!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgAfGyjI54U/?igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=

Poor Alice! That’s really unlucky. Very sweet of Ms Dupont and Mr Neef to reschedule her send off for next season. Lovely and chivalrous of Mathieu Ganio- what a sweetheart he is. Thanks for the video and post, LACAD! 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 10:50, Naomi M said:

I was surprised to hear that also Florian Magnenet (Premier danseur) is retiring, he was the one who saved the day when Ganio got injured in Rouge et Noir. 

Florian is also one of my faves, and in my opinion very underrated. Sad that he never got elevated to etoile which I think he more than earned over 10 years ago. He will be missed. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Alice Renavand Injured Mid-Retirement Performance (Paris Opera Ballet) and has another opportunity with Bolero
2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

...and when Mathieu Ganio came out to greet her, he picked her up and swung her around in his arms - reviving memories of that Giselle curtain call!

Link to twitter post showing Ganio sweeping Renavand into his arms after both Giselle and Boléro

Thanks for the link Sophoife, I found the snippets quite moving.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sophoife said:

...and when Mathieu Ganio came out to greet her, he picked her up and swung her around in his arms - reviving memories of that Giselle curtain call!

Link to twitter post showing Ganio sweeping Renavand into his arms after both Giselle and Boléro

How sweet of Mathieu! He is such a class act. He came to London all the way from France just to perform in a charity fundraiser for Ukraine at the start of the invasion- he wasn’t even being paid; the dancers and the ushers all gave their services for free. I’d say many of  the dancers were among the biggest donors that night, as they would normally receive four digit fees or more for performing in galas. (It was very successful too.) I saw the pictures of Alice in Bolero on the company Fb page- it’s lovely of Aurelie Dupont and Jose Martinez to arrange for her to have a redo of her farewell performance  and give her a nice send off. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

I think Alexander Neef, as overall director of the Opéra, would have had a say as well. Remember it was he who announced Alu's nomination as étoile, Dupont was in Paris but not present in the theatre.

Re the Ukraine gala, 

"Dance For Ukraine was produced by the dance charity, Inspiration in Motion. Net proceeds went directly to the Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC), Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

"All of the dancers donated their services and the English National Opera waived their rental fee for the London Coliseum. The ENO Orchestra, ENO Chorus and friends also volunteered to musically support the evening." As did the conductor. Thumbs up to all!

• Like 1