Posting a hooped tutu

Pups_mum

My DD has asked me to post one of her old tutus for one of her pupils to wear in a forthcoming show, but I have no idea how best to pack it or whether it would be best to use a courier rather than the normal post. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've only got just over a week to get it there so probably not time to order any kind of bespoke packaging - it will need to go into some kind of  easily available box or bag. Any experience or ideas welcomed. Thanks!

This is my way....and it seems to work!  When I send out tutu orders to customers, I beg large crisp boxes (the ones with many packets of crisps in) from Tesco.  Best to go during shelf stacking, late evening. Sometimes they are the right size, but mostly I cut them down a bit, not difficult, so that the box measures no more than 46cms x 46 cms x 63 cms.  This qualifies it as a 'medium parcel', and as such, is less than £5 to send second class.  You can pay a bit more for extras like signed for, etc.  I then line the box with a plastic sheet, in case the box gets wet, and I lay the tutu on top of the open box and push it down in the centre, so that the sides come up all around the bodice.  The hoop will bend in places to accommodate this, but with the excellent hoop material you can now get, they should spring out at the other end and you should be able to give them a quick shake to get them to how they were before packing.  I always tell customers to expect a crisp box, and that while I know it doesn't look very professional, I point out that the extra I might have spent on specially made boxes with my branding on would have had to be added to the price of their tutu.....

I've not had any complaints about this method yet!

• Like 1

The last one I sent out I got a massive cardboard box for moving house and separated the sides. 
Tutu covered in black bin bags to protect from getting wet.

Cardboard on the bottom. Cardboard on the top and brown tape all round the sides.

Posted with Parcelforce. 

17 hours ago, cavycapers said:

This is my way....and it seems to work!  When I send out tutu orders to customers, I beg large crisp boxes (the ones with many packets of crisps in) from Tesco.  Best to go during shelf stacking, late evening. Sometimes they are the right size, but mostly I cut them down a bit, not difficult, so that the box measures no more than 46cms x 46 cms x 63 cms.  This qualifies it as a 'medium parcel', and as such, is less than £5 to send second class.  You can pay a bit more for extras like signed for, etc.  I then line the box with a plastic sheet, in case the box gets wet, and I lay the tutu on top of the open box and push it down in the centre, so that the sides come up all around the bodice.  The hoop will bend in places to accommodate this, but with the excellent hoop material you can now get, they should spring out at the other end and you should be able to give them a quick shake to get them to how they were before packing.  I always tell customers to expect a crisp box, and that while I know it doesn't look very professional, I point out that the extra I might have spent on specially made boxes with my branding on would have had to be added to the price of their tutu.....

I've not had any complaints about this method yet!

When I had one made it came like this, had been led on top of a box and then pushed down in the middle. It was sent next day delivery and the tutu maker said to be sure to get it out of the box ASAP. It arrived just fine 🙂