Dance examination boards

Sl8293

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been asked. I am currently doing examinations with the NATD, have been since I was younger and now I've completed intermediate in ballet, tap and modern, I can enter into teaching examinations and take the associate level. I'm not particularly interested in taking these with the NATD and wanted to actually swap exam boards. Does anyone know of any exam boards that you can enter in and qualify as a teacher on your own? Normally you have to be entered under a teacher or a member of an association. I have seen that BBO would allow me to apply for teacher training without a teacher (if I've read the information online properly) so I'm interested to know if anyone has done their teacher training with BBO, or managed to enter into a different exam board.

Thank you in advance :)

Intermediate in pretty much any exam board seems to be an entry level requirement so you should be fine with any of the above.

What you need tk do is cross ref the various options & associated costs - full time or part time? Local or live away (eg. 3 year RAD degree course etc) Funding - self fund?  Need to work alongside full or part time? Family time & geographic restrictions etc? Costs for mentoring….or can you get this for feee by assisting in classes? The ongoing costs of membership, registered teacher status & CPD requirements/costs/

opportunity to complete.

Sorry, this sounds very negative (& indeed has reaffirmed the many issues as to why I had to give up on my dream to complete teacher training!!)

I think of you are young, perhaps have the support of family (for accommodation/fees/living costs) or opportunity for funding then go for it!

Also consider college/university routes if an option; a dance degree could open many doors also - top up to qualifications to teach in mainstream schools not just dance schools gives more options/opportunities for stable career progression jobs & pay scales! Plus if not already had student loans then this may help with costs!

I wish you the very best of luck - let us know what you decide on!