John Neumeier gets a museum at Hamburg: The town bought a building to set up a ballet institute to contain his huge ballet collection (he owns almost everything about Nijinsky, most of his paintings for example) and as an archive for his complete works.  

His unique and valuable collection consists of paintings, drawings, photographs, graphics, sculptures, figures, everyday objects, and also of a library on the history of dance, documents, manuscripts and autographs. The Hamburg Senate decided today to purchase a building at Mittelweg 55 in Hamburg to permanently secure the unique collection and the catalogue of his more than 170 ballets. It will be called “Institute John Neumeier” and is intended be an international place for discussing dance. Neumeier established a foundation in 2006 which will operate the new institue. The city provides 15 million euros for the purchase, renovation and conversion of the property. The choreographer is “pleased that my collection and my life's work have found a permanent home in my adopted home of Hamburg”, as he said.

• Like 15

I think this information is probably worthy of its own thread for the future, so have given it one.

Isn't this enlightened of Hamburg?  I can't imagine anything similar being done for a choreographer of similar standing in the UK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

http://www.johnneumeier.org/english.html

This is the English website for the Foundation, and here:

https://www.facebook.com/ndrhamburg/videos/john-neumeier-und-sein-ballettmuseum/235087447605197/

is a Facebook video in German language about the first lockdown in 2020 where you can see Neumeier's house with the collection - just so you get an impression

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is spectacular news! I’m so happy for John Neumeier. Wouldn’t it be great to have similar museums for, say, Ashton or Balanchine?  
There is a fabulous collection dedicated to Jerome Robbins at the NY Public Library’s Lincoln Center site. I’ve visited it many a time. 😉 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 4

Well, we also have to see that he started the museum himself - he collected memorabilia since he was a young dancer and spent very much of his money as director on Nijinsky things. The town of Hamburg needed some gentle pressure, if I may call it so, from Neumeier's side to realise how important it would be for Hamburg to keep this dance collection and Neumeier's archive. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a Dance museum, a Nijinsky museum or a Neumeier museum... 😉

• Like 3