ENB's Joseph Caley to join Australian Ballet

INteresting. The last time TAB brought someone in at principal rank was 2008 (Yosvani Ramos, also from ENB) and at the time they had only two male principals (Adam Bull was promoted halfway through the year). This time they've lost Kevin Jackson and Andrew Killian to retirement during Covid, and Ty King-Wall has just retired, as has senior artist Cristiano Martino, but still have 4 male principals (Bull, Brett Chynoweth, Guo Chengwu, Callum Linnane) and what one would have thought was a cadre of nearly-readys. Also, looking at Mr Caley's repertoire, one can only hope it means more classical programmes for us to watch! Also a male CDB dancer from the Mariinsky (Maxim Zenin) and Henry Berlin who is due to graduate from SAB in June. Some VERY different influences there! Good luck to all concerned!

Edited by Sophoife
Added "to retirement" to clarify Jackson & Killian didn't leave because they got Covid! And corrected Zenin's surname
  • Like 3

This rumour about Jo Caley’s career and continent move (after 5 years with ENB) has been circulating for a while. His wife, Jenna Roberts (also ex BRB), is Australian.

Best wishes to both of them for their future ‘down under’.

• Like 14

Not uncommon for people moving into the later phases of their careers to make a move - particularly if where they go is either their or their partner's place of origin. Li Cunxin for example spent the last years of his dancing career with AusBallet because his wife is Australian and also help for/with deaf daughter was available at a much lower financial cost than where they were. Matthew Lawrence and Gaylene Cummerfield came "home" after their BRB careers, he danced with Qld Ballet before final retirement.

• Like 3

Saw this on Facebook after getting home from the Ashton triple bill show! Well, when word started leaking out unofficially that Joseph Caley was leaving ENB, I suspected it would be for Australia. His Australian wife, Jenna Roberts (former BRB principal ballerina) had mentioned her grave concerns when many Australians living/working abroad weren’t allowed home to Australia (eg to visit sick family or friends) because of quarantine restrictions and limits on how many seats on flights  were being released. It’s probably not the only factor but I’m sure they will want to be near her family when children enter the equation. He will be sorely missed, as was Jenna when she retired, but wishing him much success in his new company and wishing them both great happiness Down Under. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

Congratulations to Joseph Caley on his new job in Australia, have been an admirer since his BRB days & also of his wife Jenna Roberts. 

ENB is going to be VERY thin on male principals soon what with Cirio & Hernandez going as well. Worrying days for them indeed.

I don't get over there much, and I haven't been across the pond since the start of covid. However, I want to add that I loved watching Joe Caley. I have followed his career since leaving Royal Ballet School. For me, his clean classical technique and wonderful partnering stood out. David Hallberg is smart to bring him in. I am very happy for them, but sad for London to lose him.