Royal Conservatoire The Hague

Perivale Queen

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My DD is in the first year of their two year Bachelor of Dance program. There are 12 students in the first year and 8 students in the second year. The 20 students come from 8 different countries. The program is supposed to be 50% classical and 50% modern/contemporary. They train for 40+ hours a week, including Saturdays. The Royal Conservatoire is located in the same building as NDT and they have a yearly «young talent project» that is affiliated with NDT.

Their graduates get internships/contracts in both classical and contemporary companies.

My DD is very happy there. The biggest drawback is that it is very hard to find housing in The Hague and the school does not help at all.

• Like 1

I can't comment on the ballet side of it but the Hague is a lovely city that I've visited a lot for work but also for city breaks. It's beautiful, spacious and very green.  There's a good public transport system (trams and buses).  You can get a tram to Scheveningen and walk by the sea if you like.  There's a lot of culture and art there and several lovely parks to walk in.  I like the Mauritshus (art gallery) and the Escher exhibition.  The shops are good.

The Netherlands has really good public transport so you can get around fairly quickly.  Also the cliche of the cycling Dutch is true in many ways because you can get run over by bicycles easily.  

I think it's probably a safe place to live (insofar as anywhere is).  You can walk around at night without feeling worried.  

I like it much better than Amsterdam because it's a bit classier and doesn't have as many drunken Brits falling out of bars.  

• Like 3