accepting offers

lay_enpointe

Hello,

I was recently offered a place on the certHE contemporary dance course at northern, but the closing date to accept this place is 30th march and they require an administration fee of £50 (I qualified for the audition waiver). however I also received an invite to Rambert's second round of auditions on the 4th April. if I don't get into Rambert, I would like to go to northern, however I don't want to accept the place at northern, pay the money and then pull out because I cannot see them giving the fee back. does anyone know what I could do in this situation, could I call northern and ask about it or is that not something schools consider. any help is extremely appreciated! thank you

• Like 2

Firstly - congratulations on your offer at Northern and for getting through to the second round for Rambert.

I definitely think you could call Northern and ask if they could extend the closing date for acceptance.  Explain the situation that you have a second audition for Rambert.  Explain that due to your financial circumstances you can't afford to lose the £50 admin fee.  I don't know about Northern, but I have heard of other institutions being flexible on acceptance dates.

I probably wouldn't say that you will only accept the place at Northern if you don't get an offer for Rambert - but I'm sure you could phrase it along the lines of, you want to be able to make an informed decision once all your auditions are over. I think there's a good chance they will be open to this.  At the end of the day they will want you go make the right choice for you.

If not - maybe you will have to bite the bullet and pay the admin fee rather than risk losing your place.  

• Like 10

My DD was in very similar position, received offers from various schools with deadlines practically at the start of other auditions. Some have been flexible with us and offered us extension for acepting, but on some they didn't want to hear.
My DD had hard time deciding as some auditions she was attending were in July. Well after many UK schools past their deadlines.

We have played gamble and declined all in UK and prayed she will receive that dreamed offer from overseas that same summer. But I lost lot of money not getting my deposit back. The hardest one to swallow for me was for Tring. 

On 16/03/2022 at 18:38, glowlight said:

Firstly - congratulations on your offer at Northern and for getting through to the second round for Rambert.

I definitely think you could call Northern and ask if they could extend the closing date for acceptance.  Explain the situation that you have a second audition for Rambert.  Explain that due to your financial circumstances you can't afford to lose the £50 admin fee.  I don't know about Northern, but I have heard of other institutions being flexible on acceptance dates.

I probably wouldn't say that you will only accept the place at Northern if you don't get an offer for Rambert - but I'm sure you could phrase it along the lines of, you want to be able to make an informed decision once all your auditions are over. I think there's a good chance they will be open to this.  At the end of the day they will want you go make the right choice for you.

If not - maybe you will have to bite the bullet and pay the admin fee rather than risk losing your place.  

Good idea.
Easier if Rambert are actually offering a different qualification/course than Northern then that could be used when communicating with the school. Rather than asking one school to waiver a fee whilst waiting to hear from another if they are offering the same course/qualification.  If that makes sense. 

Edited by balletbean