Ballet training vs Rugby Academy. 96 % won’t make a professional career. Interesting comparison.

Lifeafterballet

It's very interesting. I have often mused on the differences between my DD's dance journey and her brother's sporting pursuits. I could write pages on the subject (probably previously have in fact) but I won't bore you all!

I think there are intrinsic differences between ballet and sport that mean that exactly the same models would never work equally well for both, but I do think there is a lot to be learned, particularly from sports science and from the way a number of sports structure their youth programmes, both their talent development pathways and more recreational programmes. I also think that the dance world would do well to look at the skeletons that have been found in a number of sporting cupboards and learn from what's happened there.

No system is perfect, but I do think that sports, at least the ones we're involved with, have modernised rather more successfully than dance so far and there is quite a lot that could transfer well.

• Like 3

My son added ballet & jazz dance alongside his rugby trading & I'm proud to say - despite some teasing from rugby boys - never hid fact he enjoyed both! Both sadly came to a fairly natural end….maybe hobbies to reignite in the future? 
One thing I would point out of interest though… just as there are nightmare  ‘Dance Moms’  (& Dads) equally the parents & politics at junior rugby can have those familiar types; just as pushy, nasty, bitchy, back biting & subversive to the sport!!! It’s the parents (& especially when they are part of the coaching team etc…)who so often undermine the laudable RFU rugby ‘TREDS’ core values (Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline, Sportsmanship) 

Ah, how I wish those values felt the norm for kids, parents & teachers/coaches in Ballet & Rugby!! It’s the usual case of a minority spoiling things for the majority….& of course can lead to talent & participants (& thus support including financial) being lost to both. 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

My son added ballet & jazz dance alongside his rugby trading & I'm proud to say - despite some teasing from rugby boys - never hid fact he enjoyed both! Both sadly came to a fairly natural end….maybe hobbies to reignite in the future? 
One thing I would point out of interest though… just as there are nightmare  ‘Dance Moms’  (& Dads) equally the parents & politics at junior rugby can have those familiar types; just as pushy, nasty, bitchy, back biting & subversive to the sport!!! It’s the parents (& especially when they are part of the coaching team etc…)who so often undermine the laudable RFU rugby ‘TREDS’ core values (Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline, Sportsmanship) 

Ah, how I wish those values felt the norm for kids, parents & teachers/coaches in Ballet & Rugby!! It’s the usual case of a minority spoiling things for the majority….& of course can lead to talent & participants (& thus support including financial) being lost to both. 

and in sailing  the 'Optimist (a class of junior dinghy )  Dad ' is a running  joke / steroetype / meme  like the dance mum 

• Like 2

Ever get the feeling it’s ‘all our fault’??? 🤔

I do look at the families who had kids doing zero extra curriculum activities & wonder a) how much better off financially they were/are & b) did it negatively or positively impact their kids for future higher education/career prospects/earning potential/life skills/family relationships/ physical & mental health & - most importantly - personal happiness....???

• Like 1