Looking for advise on pre-professional training in Europe (primarily Italy)

BalletMum2020

Hello, 
We are looking for advise for full-time professional training in Europe with a particular interest in Italy. This will be starting September 2022 at aged 16 years. 

We are not concerned about the type of qualification on offer, but would like the main focus to be for a career in Ballet performance. We are especially interested to hear about forward thinking teachers who are inclusive and progressive, preferably with a good understanding of movement science. 

If you can recommend somewhere and are able to offer any advise on the audition process (esp. rough dates) that would be a bonus! Also if you have any information on the languages used at the school in classes that would be helpful.

Thank you for your help :) 

Hello BalletMum2020 and welcome to the Forum!  I have moved you query to the more appropriate Doing Dance forum where all things about doing dance are discussed.

Here is a thread about European Summer Intensives that may give you some useful information:

Member Kate_N recommends also joining the American Ballet Talk for Dancers where European schools are also discussed.

• Like 1

Hi Balletmum2020

i don’t know if you are in the UK but José Martin and Kerry Birkett from raw talent ballet coaching  work with vocational students for auditions and ballet coaching throughout Europe and the wider world. My son has been with them three years and has had a lot of success With them 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BalletMum2020 said:

Hello, 
We are looking for advise for full-time professional training in Europe with a particular interest in Italy. This will be starting September 2022 at aged 16 years. 

We are not concerned about the type of qualification on offer, but would like the main focus to be for a career in Ballet performance. We are especially interested to hear about forward thinking teachers who are inclusive and progressive, preferably with a good understanding of movement science. 

If you can recommend somewhere and are able to offer any advise on the audition process (esp. rough dates) that would be a bonus! Also if you have any information on the languages used at the school in classes that would be helpful.

Thank you for your help :) 

Hi! Just by chance I looked into this last year because my own DD isn’t interested in going full time at 11 and at the time told me she might consider at age 15/16 overseas in Europe. I found some very interesting things and I do think looking at Europe is a good thing - lots of choices and if you look at stats of students (even those starting at 11-12) progressing through the years, on to the higher years and then to second/junior companies and main companies, it’s quite impressive. I find where I live that most get too focused on one school (preparing kids as young as 8 with the sole goal of getting into one particular school) without realising there are tonnes of amazing options out there. Unfortunately I don’t know much about Italy or how Brexit might have affected British nationals’ chances of getting places and/or funding but found out about some good schools elsewhere in Europe and I can dm you info should you wish. Some of the European schools are coming up with stunning dancers, I have heard of at least four who have been given contracts as soloists/Demi-soloist in known companies so soon after graduation.

• Like 1

Why are you particularly interested in Italy? Most dancers here looking for a professional career look to train abroad unless they live in Milan or Rome because none of the schools offer accomodation. 

Accademia alla Scala is the most prestigious school here. You can find information on their course on their website:
Courses for professional dancers - Accademia Teatro alla Scala (accademialascala.it)

On 23/07/2021 at 23:47, coniger said:

Hi Balletmum2020

i don’t know if you are in the UK but José Martin and Kerry Birkett from raw talent ballet coaching  work with vocational students for auditions and ballet coaching throughout Europe and the wider world. My son has been with them three years and has had a lot of success With them 

Thank you for the advise xx

19 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Why are you particularly interested in Italy? Most dancers here looking for a professional career look to train abroad unless they live in Milan or Rome because none of the schools offer accomodation. 

Accademia alla Scala is the most prestigious school here. You can find information on their course on their website:
Courses for professional dancers - Accademia Teatro alla Scala (accademialascala.it)

We are planning to move to Italy from the UK, and my daughter would prefer not to be too far away from us if possible.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 10:33, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Hi! Just by chance I looked into this last year because my own DD isn’t interested in going full time at 11 and at the time told me she might consider at age 15/16 overseas in Europe. I found some very interesting things and I do think looking at Europe is a good thing - lots of choices and if you look at stats of students (even those starting at 11-12) progressing through the years, on to the higher years and then to second/junior companies and main companies, it’s quite impressive. I find where I live that most get too focused on one school (preparing kids as young as 8 with the sole goal of getting into one particular school) without realising there are tonnes of amazing options out there. Unfortunately I don’t know much about Italy or how Brexit might have affected British nationals’ chances of getting places and/or funding but found out about some good schools elsewhere in Europe and I can dm you info should you wish. Some of the European schools are coming up with stunning dancers, I have heard of at least four who have been given contracts as soloists/Demi-soloist in known companies so soon after graduation.

That would be helpful thank you!

7 hours ago, BalletMum2020 said:

We are planning to move to Italy from the UK, and my daughter would prefer not to be too far away from us if possible.

Ah OK 🙂.
Where in Italy are you planning to live? As I mentioned before, the schools here are not residential so to train in Italy your daughter would have to stay living at home. 
Academy Princess Grace is popular with dance students from Italy. I trained there myself.

Tanz Akademie Zurich is another option that offers accomodation.

1 hour ago, invisiblecircus said:

Ah OK 🙂.
Where in Italy are you planning to live? As I mentioned before, the schools here are not residential so to train in Italy your daughter would have to stay living at home. 
Academy Princess Grace is popular with dance students from Italy. I trained there myself.

Tanz Akademie Zurich is another option that offers accomodation.

We haven't any fixed plans currently, maybe Rome? So we have some flexibility. I'm aware of Princess Grace, I'll check out the other one.

11 hours ago, BalletMum2020 said:

We haven't any fixed plans currently, maybe Rome? So we have some flexibility. I'm aware of Princess Grace, I'll check out the other one.

Scuola del Balletto di Roma are currently accepting applications for auditions. Details here:
Auditions for admission to the School of Dance | Balletto di Roma

In Rome there is also La Maison de la Danse. There used to be a Mum on this forum whose DD was training there but I don't think she still posts. There website is here:
https://www.lamaisonaccademiadidanza.it/

• Like 1