Ballet is "pay to play"?

4 minutes ago, fromthebalcony said:

You are right. Many of the smaller companies do not pay their 2nd company dancers. As I stated, most LARGER companies (which are usually AGMA companies) that have a second company pay a salary. "In smaller companies, apprentices and second company members may only be paid per performance."

None of this helps UK dancers as to get into a US 2nd company as an international a dancer will need an M1 visa. This isn’t difficult. The problem is that M1 visa holders are not allowed to work in the US at all so they are already disadvantaged in relation to their American peers in the 2nd company. All they can hope for is a per diem of around $400 per month (though I am told that strictly speaking that isn’t legal). Often they are expected to do all of the company outreach, also unpaid, so that is a six day week. Slave labour really.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Goldenlily17 said:

None of this helps UK dancers as to get into a US 2nd company as an international a dancer will need an M1 visa. This isn’t difficult. The problem is that M1 visa holders are not allowed to work in the US at all so they are already disadvantaged in relation to their American peers in the 2nd company. All they can hope for is a per diem of around $400 per month (though I am told that strictly speaking that isn’t legal). Often they are expected to do all of the company outreach, also unpaid, so that is a six day week. Slave labour really.

Surely that would also apply to dancers of any other nationality?

• Like 1

I think the private coaching is the most insidious part of "pay to play." There is no overt pressure to "pay" as theoretically a company should be providing the coaching for dancers. However, at least at ABT it's well-known that most dancers pay private coaches to rehearse them for roles. The coaching is very expensive. 

Also an intimidation factor as some principals post videos of their coaching sessions, to maybe send a message to other dancers.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2021 at 13:16, fromthebalcony said:

You are right. Many of the smaller companies do not pay their 2nd company dancers. As I stated, most LARGER companies (which are usually AGMA companies) that have a second company pay a salary. "In smaller companies, apprentices and second company members may only be paid per performance."

Houston Ballet 2 charges $8000 fees per year to join. It’s actually part of the academy. My daughter had a short term visit there but there was no way we could have afforded it. Can’t really class it as a second company. 

16 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Houston Ballet 2 charges $8000 fees per year to join. It’s actually part of the academy. My daughter had a short term visit there but there was no way we could have afforded it. Can’t really class it as a second company. 

Yes, once the second companies become a part of the school, they should no longer be classified as second companies. but as trainees (in my humble opinion.)  I know things have changed over the years and I have not been involved in looking at trainee/second company programs for awhile now. It used to be that most second companies were a part of the company, and they were therefore paid a salary.