Dyslexia and ballet.

Motomum

Would really love to hear from parents, dancers and teachers at all levels who have experience of or are dyslexic.

how has Dyslexia  impacted on your ballet training and maybe your professional career? 

How has a student being dyslexic changed your approach? 

What has really helped? 

Any go to teachers who are skilled in teaching dancers with Dyslexia (and yes they do learn differently)? 

My son is dyslexic, 12, in vocational training and I would love to hear other people's experiences. 

I only ever get quoted at me 'Darcey Bussell,' but she has never actually, from what I could find ever mentioned her ballet training in relation to be dyslexic only her academic life. 

• Like 1

I think Olivia Cowley has talked about Dyslexia in relation to ballet. I’ve taught a lot of dyslexic and query dyslexic students, little things like using fixed points like door and window instead of left and right help. Theory questions and free enchainments are always the biggest hurdle but the exam board I use are always very accommodating of reasonable adjustments. Theory in particular I encourage them to learn to answer in their own words rather than memorising. 

• Like 5

Thank you @Bluebird22that@Bluebird22that was really helpful.

I've just had a read about Olivia Cowley. She has the same kind of Dyslexia as my son where he can't find the words to speak. I've never come across anyone else that had this. It also affects him in other ways.

It's also really positive to read she went to a special school and really struggled with academics. She didn't go to full-time training until Upper School. 

• Like 3

My ds has dyslexia and sensory processing differences, which bring lots of executive functioning challenges for him in the studio and the classroom.  He has been at vocational school since he was 11. He has struggled with the teaching style of some dance teachers but in general school have been really supportive and understanding. The needs won’t go away and if someone is going to be successful in dance then they need to work out strategies that work for them in the studio.  Teachers have always been willing to work with him on this, once they know what the needs are.  Academically, school made lots of the needed reasonable adjustments and he did extremely well in his gcses last year. These have continued into upper school and staff have been nothing but supportive. 

• Like 5