Pilot study investigating flexibility training methods

drdance

Recently, there has been growing concern regarding safe stretching,  how to improve flexibility and the demand for extremes of flexibility among young dancers. I have been reading and researching different methods that have been used within gymnastics and other sports and would like to trial several different methods to see which are the most effective.

Therefore, I am looking for any dancers who are struggling with their splits to take part in a splits improvement trial comparing different types of stretching / strengthening.

Participants will be assigned a series of exercises and will be invited to an online training session (via zoom) to learn how to do the exercises. There will be strict guidelines about what other flexibility exercises participants can and can’t do during the trial period. After the trial period any students who would like additional guidance, will be given individual training plans to keep working on their splits.

To take part please contact me by email by June 30th using the email address emily@fittodanceforlife.com

• Like 1

My 2 cents worth...In my efforts previously I have also found that most of the scientific research on stretching has been done with gymnasts.  They are good candidates for this as gymnastics has distinct competitive levels and researchers can find sufficient numbers (n) at  similar skill levels that are already classified within the sport.  Strength is also a critical element of course i.e. the ability to hold the stretch against the forces of gravity.  Ballet dancers are however even more nervous about building bulk than gymnasts!  They will therefore focus on using repetition over resistance exercises using weights.

Sue Mayes, Head Physiotherapist at The Australian Ballet (TAB), has done quite a lot of scientific research in partnership with La Trobe University, Melbourne. 

A Dance Magazine article outlines the approach that TAB now recommends is here:

https://dancemagazine.com.au/2019/09/why-the-australian-ballet-dancers-quit-stretching/

Note: Sue Mayes research often it involves a comparison between ballet dancers and a sporting population, highlighting differences found https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Susan_Mayes2

All the best!

Edited by DD Driver

Hi DD Driver - thank you for your input. At the moment this is a pilot study to figure out if it's worth doing a full scientific intervention study. Having said that, all participants will be screened and factors such as skill level, hours of training, etc will all be taken into consideration. 

• Like 1

My daughter is very flexible / on the low end of hyper mobile. We had one gym coach who was insistent that she do splits up on blocks and chairs as splits were ‘easy’ for her. It really didn’t feel right to me so I pulled her out. Her dance school is much more careful with focus on strength and conditioning so they can  hold active extensions rather than getting ‘over’ splits etc

Edited by Macy1
  • Like 3

Not sure if it’s an area you are looking at but I heard two LJSB ballet mistresses teaching classes on two very separate occasions remind their classes that the bodies were developing and hormones played a part in their ability to stretch / be flexible. So what was natural one day might not feel so easy a year later but it would come back so keep at it. They would be the 10 - 14 ages not sure if there is science behind that I just remember it. 

• Like 1

@Canary Yes growth plays a major part in flexibility. Muscles, ligaments and bones all grow at slightly different rates so in the middle of the adolescent growth spurts, muscles effectively become shorter (as they grow after the bones usually). All the sensors around our bodies that tell us where parts are in relation to each other (proprioception) are affected by the growth spurt so an adolescent may feel like their arm/leg/foot is in line or in the right place when it’s not. 

The approach to training adolescents is a particular area of interest for me! Too many dancers, teachers, choreographers (and parents, I don’t doubt) are unaware of quite how puberty affects the body and how training should be modified as a result. 

• Like 1