Biodegradable plastic bags

alison

I have an elderly - at least a decade old, I'd say - biodegradable plastic carrier bag which is finally starting to biodegrade.  Question is, what do I actually do with it - chuck it in landfill where it can just carry on breaking down, put it in a (non-existent) compost heap, put it in with the food waste, or what - does anyone know?

5 hours ago, alison said:

I have an elderly - at least a decade old, I'd say - biodegradable plastic carrier bag which is finally starting to biodegrade.  Question is, what do I actually do with it - chuck it in landfill where it can just carry on breaking down, put it in a (non-existent) compost heap, put it in with the food waste, or what - does anyone know?

Our local council says to put it in the general rubbish, definitely not in food waste or green waste.  However compostable bags can go in the green waste but some councils may not allow it, so it's worth checking.

• Like 1

In relation to this, I was doing a little bit of research recently on the subject of bags that can go in the recycle bin.  I was horrified to discover that many councils cannot process shredded paper, even though I have been shredding and putting paper in my recycle bin for as long as I have lived in my borough.  Apparently it clogs up the machines, with the result that the whole batch has to be jettisoned into landfill.  Why have I only just discovered this?  Why isn't this highlighted in the council recycle information?

I haven't got around to ringing my own council yet, but someone who lives in another borough rang their council and was told that shredded paper should be put in "a suitable container first."  Quite what is considered a suitable container is a good question.  Obviously it can't be an ordinary plastic bag, but I didn't realise there was a difference between biodegradable and compostable, and the former often isn't suitable for current recycle procedures.  

https://environmentjournal.online/articles/public-warned-not-to-confuse-compostable-and-biodegradable-bags/

One disturbing line from the above link says, "As the research makes clear, ‘biodegradable’ is a term that has no official definition or requirements, often misleading brands, retailers and consumers."  

For goodness sake, is it any surprise people get confused and put the wrong stuff in the wrong bins!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

Thanks, Anne.  I suppose that makes sense :)

Yes, Fonty, I've only recently discovered about the shreddings, too.  We put ours in a paper bag or large envelope or something like that before putting it in the recycling.

• Like 1