RAD Summer school (London)

Happymum

My DD and I are thinking about trying a summer school for the first time. Our choice (mainly because of my DD age- only 9 in July) is RAD school in London. But I think that I can't really make any " ballet" decision without asking you all first :-) So, have your DC ever been there? Did they enjoy it? Was it good? My DD is very serious about her ballet and not that interested in other dance styles ( and I know that it's not just ballet there).

Edited by Happymum

Haven't experienced it but last summer dd did the free classes which were taught by the trainee teachers. The classes were at the same time and in the same part of the buildings as the summer school classes. The SS children certainly sounded like they were having fun! There were quite a few international students and as you say, there were classes in other dance styles.

It looked like a fun summer school for children of your dd's age. :-)

My dd went to this summer school for the first time when she was 9. She went on her own boarding for the first time and without knowing anyone. She was paired with a girl for whom it was also her first time and they were well looked after by the house parents who were next door to help with buns etc... She is now 12 and still friends with the girl she met at the summer school as well as girls she met from all over the world. As you say it is not just ballet but they might learn how to apply stage make up or how to do the different classical hairstyles as well as some street or modern dance. I think exactly what is on offer differs from year to year. So, to answer your question, as an introduction to summer school it was great for my dd. - a bit pricy though particularly if you need boarding as we did.

Well, it looks more like a fun rather than "serious" training, but I can't find anything else for a 9 year old. We are planning to make a holiday out of it. I found a caravan and camping park nearby in London so DD will come back "home" every afternoon and while she is dancing me and my DH and DS will just enjoy our holiday. I hope that's a good plan ( weather permited!)

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether the lower age limit of 9 for the York Scholars summer school applies at the time of the summer school (early August) or when applying, but I can recommend it if your daughter would be eligible to attend. Great teaching and great fun, all in the beautiful Queen Margaret's school in Escrick, near York; and the most beautiful part of the country for a holiday for you all! Day students can attend if you would rather she didn't board.