What do we need to do to bring a Russian national to the UK to teach a workshop?

Terpsichore

As some of you may know, I run a small, amateur ballet company in the North of England.

A friend in a leading company who holds a Russian passport but lives elsewhere has very kindly offered us a masterclass in Manchester.  She will only be here for a day or two.

If any subscriber to this website has ever done anything like this before could he or she advise: 

• What paperwork needs to be done,
  • How expensive will it be to process the dancer's application; and 
  • How long will it take?
Edited by Terpsichore
correcting a typo

I think if I remember the Russian teacher and the Serbian teacher at our old school required full visas to attend Dance World Cup ,Brighton 2013 and Jersey 2016, just to accompany the children, 7 days in all, but somewhere in the region of 3 months to organise and almost 600 euros each visa not including the costs of their  visits to the consulate (travel costs, lost days work) for someone there  to go....'yes that looks like you in your passport. Well , we'll let you know shortly'.And that was despite them being officially permanently resident (but not a citizen) in the EU. Can't see it being any easier now. 

Suggest you look at Gov. Uk , travel and visas section.  It would depend if the individual had already been granted  a visa /access for other masterclasses, events in the UK, so a polite enquiry as to their recent status with HM Borderforce and Immigration might help you decide. They might already be covered by an existing permit or know the proceedure if they have been top the UK before.

Alternatively .... 

You could look at the 'Russian Ballet Workshop' run by Isabella Mackay-McGuire. She trained at the Vaganova Institute and now teaches at Danceworks, London, but also runs these workshops. They're for vocational students, but maybe inviting her or her colleagues would be easier (and cheaper)?

When we bring Russian colleagues to UK for meetings (no ballet related), they visit British Embassy in Russia and request info which we then provide. Usually it is letter of invitation with our Company Director passport and how we will financialy support them during their visit. With allmaterials what our company provides them, then they go back to the embassy and seek visas.

I guess it will be the same for ballet people.