Bbo Scholars auditions

Balletcat800

Hi everyone. 

My daughters just had an audition for RB JA's but she also has an audition for the bbo Scholars scheme in London next week, has anyone's children been to this audition in previous years? Just wondering what it's like really and what they do in the audition. 

My son has been a BBO scholar in Manchester for the last two years and has loved it. The audition was a normal ballet class.

There are 9 classes a year with two intensives held at Elmhurst, Scholars Weekend in October and Dance Days at Easter.

Good luck to your DD.

7 hours ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

My son has been a BBO scholar in Manchester for the last two years and has loved it. The audition was a normal ballet class.

There are 9 classes a year with two intensives held at Elmhurst, Scholars Weekend in October and Dance Days at Easter.

Good luck to your DD.

Thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird22 said:

Spent the day sat at auditions today in Manchester. Normal class format, all of my students enjoyed the ballet, not so keen on the jazz! 

Thank you, my daughter is really only into ballet, do they have to do jazz too? I knew there was jazz but thought maybe it was separate. 

It is a separate audition and scheme, some of mine did both. There were two audition groups for juniors today, I would say maybe 20 in each group. All the other auditions just had one group and I think mids and seniors were together in one audition 

1 hour ago, Bluebird22 said:

It is a separate audition and scheme, some of mine did both. There were two audition groups for juniors today, I would say maybe 20 in each group. All the other auditions just had one group and I think mids and seniors were together in one audition 

That's great, very helpful. Thank you so much 😊. Good luck to your students 🤞

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

Good luck to those waiting for results. DS is sad that next month will be his last scholars class before he starts at Hammond. He's come on so much in the two years he's been doing it and has thoroughly enjoyed every class, scholars weekend and Dance Days. 

Awww that's so lovely that he's enjoyed it so much!! 

Thank you for the luck, seems like forever since the audition. Do you know how many spaces they usually have in the scholars programme or is it different every year? 

4 hours ago, Balletcat800 said:

Do you know how many spaces they usually have in the scholars programme or is it different every year? 

Hi, I'm sorry I have no idea. The boys class DS is in was a brand new class set up for them so only has a few boys in it. 

My students thoroughly enjoyed the ballet class said the teacher gave them loads of feedback throughout... but the panel didn’t look away from the boys. I was aware beforehand that they were particularly interested in me sending boys (I sent a mix) I just wish more places would adopt the Hammond associates approach and not audition girls when they aren’t looking for girls. 

Ive had a very long day so maybe this is the cynic in me escaping for a rant- apologies! 

8 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

My students thoroughly enjoyed the ballet class said the teacher gave them loads of feedback throughout... but the panel didn’t look away from the boys. I was aware beforehand that they were particularly interested in me sending boys (I sent a mix) I just wish more places would adopt the Hammond associates approach and not audition girls when they aren’t looking for girls. 

Ive had a very long day so maybe this is the cynic in me escaping for a rant- apologies! 

Ahh I see!! 

That's such a shame!! Sorry to hear this. 

I expect that will be the same vibe for London then. Only time will tell I guess. 

I feel I was overly cynical last night, I’m very very tired, desperate for a holiday and too invested in my students!

I’ve concluded my girls being teenagers are prone to dramatics, and the likelihood is the panel did look at them but ruled them out as unsuitable early on and then they stopped looking at them. It was a big audition group and there’s not too much point continuing to look at someone if they aren’t great at the barre, unless they suddenly draw your attention in the centre! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

I feel I was overly cynical last night, I’m very very tired, desperate for a holiday and too invested in my students!

I’ve concluded my girls being teenagers are prone to dramatics, and the likelihood is the panel did look at them but ruled them out as unsuitable early on and then they stopped looking at them. It was a big audition group and there’s not too much point continuing to look at someone if they aren’t great at the barre, unless they suddenly draw your attention in the centre! 

Very good point there bluebird, your right! Good luck for next year if your students re-apply. 

Waiting for the London results is seriously taking forever!!