Last min panics

Jeteitallaway

So my DD is starting vocational school this sep year 7 . There are lots of things worrying me , ie how will she cope with homesickness, how as a family will we cope without her etc , however my biggest concern is assessments , more specifically being assessed out . My Dd didn’t expect to get into to her first choice of school as she didn’t get her second or third choices . However she did ! I’m hearing stories of high volumes of students being assessed out and not all finding another school or funded places . I  am probably getting ahead of myself but would like to know of back up options . Is there funding for schools like Moorlands / YDA etc . Also if a child stays in ballet school until end of year 11 have they missed too much all round work to get places at the big MT schools like  Laines etc . I would also like to know how much warning schools give to students not offered another year and is this verbal or just scores on reports ? 

Hi - first of all try not to worry! I know this is easier said than done! There's lots of ups and downs, many of which you can't predict. It's best to take it day by day otherwise it's just overwhelming.

Many children from ballet schools get into Laine etc at Y11 so don't worry about that.

As regards the assessment processes at each school I think they vary and really only someone who has had a dc at the individual school can advise. I can comment by PM on Hammond but suspect that's not the school in question!!

There were plenty of DC at Hammond with funding who had been assessed out of other schools if that helps.

Good luck!!

Echoing what @sarahw says above, you really do have to just take it day by day. Assessments are horrible but try not to let them overshadow all the wonderful things about their school life. I’ve got one almost finished lower school and it hasn’t been an easy ride at all, but we’re about to start all over again with dc2 so it can’t have been all bad 😱😁

32 minutes ago, sarahw said:

Hi - first of all try not to worry! I know this is easier said than done! There's lots of ups and downs, many of which you can't predict. It's best to take it day by day otherwise it's just overwhelming.

Many children from ballet schools get into Laine etc at Y11 so don't worry about that.

As regards the assessment processes at each school I think they vary and really only someone who has had a dc at the individual school can advise. I can comment by PM on Hammond but suspect that's not the school in question!!

There were plenty of DC at Hammond with funding who had been assessed out of other schools if that helps.

Good luck!!

Thank you that’s 

37 minutes ago, sarahw said:

Good luck!!

Thank you , that is good to hear , wishing your DC all the very best . Thank you for taking the time to advice me .

The highs are very high and the lows are incredibly low. I don’t think anything can prepare you for the journey you are about to undertake. For warned is not forearmed. Regrets ? Yes there are lots. Would we do it again ? I’m not sure. I have a Dd who entered at 11 and a Ds at 17. I am happy to share our experience of Elmhurst x 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

The highs are very high and the lows are incredibly low. I don’t think anything can prepare you for the journey you are about to undertake. For warned is not forearmed. Regrets ? Yes there are lots. Would we do it again ? I’m not sure. I have a Dd who entered at 11 and a Ds at 17. I am happy to share our experience of Elmhurst x 

Thank you I would really love to hear from you