Press Release: English National Ballet's Emerging Dancer 2019 finalists

I have enjoyed the videos from the dancers. Each of them is obviously talented. I hope they learn from the process and realize it’s not about winning a competition, but improving through the opportunity. I hope to get to watch the livestream as I have in the past. Merde to each of them! 

• Like 4

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

English National Ballet Announces Winners of Emerging Dancer 2019

English National Ballet is pleased to announce the winner of the 2019 Emerging Dancer Award is Julia Conway.

Rm9yIEVEIHJlbGVhc2UuSlBH

Photo caption: Julia Conway, winner of Emerging Dancer 2019, receiving her award from host Adam Cooper (left) and dancing the Flames of Paris pas de deux with partner Rentaro Nakaaki (right)

Having performed the Flames of Paris pas de deux with partner Rentaro Nakaaki and Untitled Code, a solo by choreographed by Rambert dancer Miguel Altunaga, Julia Conway was announced as winner on stage at Sadler’s Wells and livestreamed to audiences across the world last night (Tuesday 7 May 2019) by Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo.

Of winning the 2019 Emerging Dancer Award, Julia said: “I’m really surprised and honoured to be chosen as the 2019 Emerging Dancer. I think we’re all winners in the end just for being voted as finalists and to have been given the opportunity to perform this evening. 

“I want to say a big thank you to my mentors, I couldn’t have done any of this without them. They helped me mentally overcome challenges as well as physically prepare me for the evening. The choreographer for my solo, Miguel Altunaga, pushed me and we achieved something amazing, I’m just so proud. 

“My mum was in the audience and my sister tuned into the livestream, it’s lovely to be able to share this moment with them.”

The evening also saw Eireen Evrard named as the recipient of the Corps de Ballet Award acknowledging her exceptional work over the last year, while Rhys Antoni Yeomans was awarded the People’s Choice Award, as voted for by members of the public. 

Of winning the People’s Choice Award, Rhys Antoni Yeomans said: “I’m so surprised to receive this award, it means an incredible amount that the public have been voting throughout to year and have appreciated my work this season. It really is going to spur me on for the next season and I can’t thank everyone enough.”

Of winning the Corps de Ballet Award, Eireen Evrard said: “I’m shocked but so happy, I had no idea! It means a lot - the corps de ballet work so hard, every single show, and sometimes it’s hard to keep yourself going through the long runs, so this award is a great acknowledgement of that commitment and I’m so happy to receive this year.”

Celebrating 10 years, Emerging Dancer allows English National Ballet to recognise the excellence of its artists. Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director of English National Ballet was joined on the judging panel by Sarah Wildor, Mavin Khoo, Carrie-Anne Ingrouille, Gerald Dowler and Michael Coleman. 

Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director of English National Ballet said: "They are all winners because they all progressed so much during the process of Emerging Dancer, but I feel what set Julia apart is the security she had on stage. Both in the classical work and the contemporary - she seemed to have a presence beyond her years. The decision from the panel was unanimous, and much deserved - congratulations to Julia."

The other finalists this year were Alice Bellini, Emilia Cadorin, Rentaro Nakaaki, Shale Wagman and Rhys Antoni Yeomans.

Previous winners of the Emerging Dancer Award include Shiori Kase (2011), and Junor Souza (2014), who have since been promoted to Principal and First Soloist respectively, Alison McWhinney (2014) who went on to be promoted to First Soloist, and 2017 joint winners, Aitor Arrieta and Rina Kanehara who have been promoted to Soloist and Junior Soloist respectively. Last year’s winner Daniel McCormick highlights this season have included dancing the role of Lescaut in Manon, Nutcracker in Nutcracker and the pas de trois in Derek Deane’s Swan Lake. 

The Emerging Dancer competition is generously supported by Sue and Graeme Sloan. 

The Corps de Ballet award is generously supported by Roger Handley.

ENDS

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets for upcoming performances visit www.ballet.org.uk.

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

Notes to Editors

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.
www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England

Arts Council England is the national development body for arts and culture across England, working to enrich people’s lives. We support a range of activities across the arts, museums and libraries – from theatre to visual art, reading to dance, music to literature, and crafts to collections. Great art and culture inspires us, brings us together and teaches us about ourselves and the world around us. In short, it makes life better. Between 2018 and 2022, we will invest £1.45 billion of public money from government and an estimated £860 million from the National Lottery to help create these experiences for as many people as possible across the country. www.artscouncil.org.uk