Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET’S THE NUTCRACKER

“Simply magnificent – unrivalled for Christmas spectacle” The Stage 
aa 
Birmingham Hippodrome: 23 November – 13 December 2018 
Royal Albert Hall, London: 28 – 31 December 2018

Birmingham Royal Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker has captured the hearts and imaginations of generations of theatregoers to become an annual tradition. The much-loved Christmas show returns to the Birmingham Hippodrome from 23 November – 13 December and, following a critically acclaimed premiere in 2017, a spectacularly reimagined version returns to the Royal Albert Hall in London from 28 – 31 December.

Created in 1990 as a gift to the city of Birmingham, Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker combines gigantic sets, lavish costumes, 60 dancers and instantly recognisable music played the Royal Ballet Sinfonia to create the perfect Christmas treat for the entire family. Join young Clara as she is swept away into an enchanting winter wonderland of dancing snowflakes and a Sugar Plum Fairy. Her magical Christmas tree and her handsome prince with his army of toy soldiers are an unforgettable delight.

In addition to the classic Birmingham production, the Christmas magic of The Nutcracker is given a fresh twist in a reimagined production, created especially for the Royal Albert Hall. This enchanting performance wows audiences with dazzling projections from Tony Award-winning 59 projections, snow falling throughout the auditorium and live music from the London Philharmonic Orchestra. 

Sir Peter Wright’s The Nutcracker 
Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Sir Peter Wright, Lev Ivanov, Vincent Redmon
Production: Sir Peter Wright
Designs: John F. Macfarlane
Lighting: David A. Finn

Venue: Birmingham Hippodrome, Hurst Street, Southside, Birmingham, B5 4TB
Dates: Friday 23 November – Thursday 13 December 2018

Tuesday – Saturday, 7.30pm; Tuesday and Thursday matinees, 2pm; Saturday matinees, 2.30pm; Sunday matinee, 1pm

Tickets: From £20

Booking: birminghamhippodrome.com / 0844 338 5000

Pre-performance talk: Friday 30 December, 6.30pm (Free)

Audio described perf: Saturday 25 November, 2.30pm (Touch tour: 10.30am)

Company class: Saturday 26 November, 11.15am (Tickets: £10)

Audience open day: Saturday 26 November, 12.30 – 2.30pm (Free)

Birmingham Royal Ballet and the Royal Albert Hall present The Nutcracker 
Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Original choreography: Sir Peter Wright, Lev Ivanov, Vincent Redmon
Additional choreography: David Bintley, Marion Tait
Designs: Dick Bird
Lighting: Peter Teigen

Venue: Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AP
Dates: Friday 28 – Monday 31 December 2018

Friday 28 December, 7.30pm; Saturday 29 December, 2pm & 7pm; Sunday 30 December 1pm & 7.30pm; Monday 31 December 12pm & 4pm

Tickets: From £35
Booking: royalalberthall.com / 020 7589 8212

NOTES TO EDITORS: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet 
Based at Birmingham Hippodrome since 1990, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading classical ballet touring company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The company’s Director is the award-winning David Bintley, CBE and Music Director is Koen Kessels. Birmingham Royal Ballet performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas.   

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Britain's busiest ballet orchestra, playing for Birmingham Royal Ballet's wide-ranging programme in the UK and abroad. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and many of the world's other leading ballet companies, including regular performances with; The Royal Ballet, Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

• 3 weeks later...

Casting for BRB's Nutcracker at the Hippodrome has at some stage appeared online:

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/nutcracker-2018#dates-and-times

I see there are disappointingly few midweek matinees on this year - just when I was hoping I might be able to get down there and see it properly.  I was wondering whether someone with better access to details about ticketing than me could tell me whether they've gone in for their tiered ticket pricing again according to assumed popularity of the performance (it used to be bronze, silver and gold), or whether they are more or less all priced the same?  I see performances listed from £20, £25 ... and hope that is merely an indication of the bottom price which is left: I certainly hope they aren't actually having performances where the bottom price is £48!!!

Thanks, Jan.  Is that the way they've split the pricing this year, then - most expensive at weekends, not increasing prices generally as they get into December?  I have no way of telling.  All the prices look expensive to me!

• 4 weeks later...

Blast, how did I miss that? :( (probably because Outlook stuffs it into a different inbox)  (Incidentally, Maurice, there's a sub-section for ticket offers in the "Tickets" forum)

If anyone spots any offers for the Albert Hall, or that standing has been released, please let us know.  I'd like to go, but the bottom price, as last year, is way above my budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that Beatrice Parma is cast in several performances. I saw her at Thursday's matinee, as the Rose Fairy, and was blown away be her dancing- very musical, and the choreographic shapes beautifully articulated. She'd make a wonderful Odette.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...