Interpreting exam results

mcsquiggen

My daughter has recently completed IDTA Grade 2 ballet. She has moved to a new dance school recently and I’m not familiar with IDTA. We can’t see any numerical score on the report form, just tick boxes for technical foundation, musical and rhythmical response and presentation and dance, and then an overall ‘commended’ tick. Is that normal with IDTA or are we missing something? I checked the website but couldn’t find the info I wanted. It’s not a big deal, but just different from what we are used to.

There should be a score for each section out of 20 then an overall score. Are you sure it was a grade and not a medal test as IDTA grades are pass, merit, distinction. The medal tests are pass, commended, honours if I recall. Would have to check past exam sheets

Living2dance thanks, having Googled a bit now I think you’re right it must have been a medal test rather than a grade! I really wasn’t aware of that! It makes sense as I read about it as her new school is more performance orientated. 

Hi,

Yes it sounds like a "classwork assessment" - this is NOT the full grade exam, but a subset of the exam work presented as a class taken by the teacher. It is used by some teachers in place of the exams for some or all students, and by others as a "preparation" for the full exam later, often as a way to increase the numbers of exam entries so as to get enough to make up a session.

In your daughter's case, since she has only recently moved schools, it sounds like she may not have been ready to take the full grade exam because she had not been working on the syllabus long enough. However I would suggest you talk to the teacher - I'm sure she will be happy to explain.,

• Like 1