EYB Coppélia Rickmansworth

dancemum09

The Gate was excellent. We might actually go back there without the inducement of a ballet run. The velouté accompanying the sea bass was excellent, and my roast lamb was very tasty, although possibly a bit too fatty?

And Coppelia was also fab - and DD didn't disgrace herself as a stand-in friend in Act 1!

Enough dance for a little while, I think. Ready for next Friday.

• Like 1

Well that’s a wrap. 

It has been an eventful few weeks —— rehearsals in a freezing cold school, battling through the snow to get to Thursday’s tech run, sharing lifts back and forth to the Premier Inn, the laughter we had chaperoning all weekend especially in room 3 and finally the cast who simply got better and better with an incredible final performance. 

Untill next it it has been a blast. 

• Like 2

It was a wonderful performance last night. 

I am absolutely amazed how professional it looks after only 10 days rehearsal! My DD thoroughly enjoyed being a big friend and had so much fun with the other girls in her group. To be honest ballet isn’t her main thing and I have never seen her do so much pointe work. It was a delight to watch!  Well done to everyone involved. 

• Like 2

Agreed! Polished is the word. Quite a leap (one of which Osipova would have been proud) from run-through to Saturday evening's performance. Bravo to all (especially Pointetoes Jr!). DD sad it's over; she's had a great time and made some new friends. I think that's it from us now, although if EYB do a show nearby (how about Stevenage?!) we would come to watch....

BTW, I was talking with Gary the cameraman who said that those fussy people (like me) for whom DVD resolution is annoying,  a extra few quid (£35ish?) can get you a high def version on a memory stick, suitable for plugging into most Smart TVs.

Oh, and if the family responsible for hosting the EYB top brass at their home during the beastly times are here - chapeau!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thewinelake said:

BTW, I was talking with Gary the cameraman who said that those fussy people (like me) for whom DVD resolution is annoying,  a extra few quid (£35ish?) can get you a high def version on a memory stick, suitable for plugging into most Smart TVs.

That’s really interesting, it’s the one thing that drives us mad about theirDVDs. 

Thank you thewinelake, DD had a ball and is feeling really quiet lonely today. 

Hi!

Well that was so lovely. Hope everyone managed to get some downtime on Sunday. My little one got to zombie out in front of the telly all day. She's still tired and didn't want to go back to school already.

It was a pleasure meeting all the lovely dancers and their mums their too!

How bad is the resolution on DVD? I was just here filling out the form to order it...

720 x 576 - so not great. Roughly a quarter of HD. I really like being able to see their faces!

Talking of which, did anyone get any good pics of Morning Hours? I was unable to make the photoshoot, as I was rushing down from Cambridge, but sent Granddad, whose camera wasn't quite up to my normal standards, so this is the kind of quality we got (and whose idea was the crazy stage lighting for the photos? This one is tweaked a lot, but that makes it extra hard to get a sharp image)....

Morning Hours

Edited by thewinelake

...however, I just did a test with a 4K still from my recent shooting of Swan Lake, and the difference isn't as pronounced as one might think - particularly if your TV/DVD player has a good upscaler.

See this: https://thewinelake.prodibi.com/a/yl0l6rqy07rdl0/i/drjr56gvm8q5y6

The top image is 720 x 576 and the lower one is 3840 x 2160. The limiting factor in the second example is the resolution of the lens, maybe combined with some motion and focus blur. The cameras they use for the EYB recording have much better lenses than mine (which is a humble Panasonic VX870) and so you may find that from a comfortable viewing distance, it's not that bad.

However, if you're viewing on a computer and get really close, there's a huge difference that shows how clever (or stupid?!) the human mind is when viewing from a distance.

See here: https://thewinelake.prodibi.com/a/yl0l6rqy07rdl0/i/05x5vkm8ky759g

• Like 1

Yes!

BTW, AdageKitty, I was missing the obvious answer with my post above. The easiest way to see the difference in quality of different resolutions is to look at a video on YouTube (eg. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=5UCm6bmEGiA and use the quality selector to flip between 480p (roughly DVD quality), 1080p (HD, Blu ray) and 2160p (4K). The files being referred to would have resolution equivalent to the middle one (but the contrast and colour should be more accurate than mine).