RAD Silver Swans and Assumptions about Retirement

meadowblythe

Really interested to receive an email about the RAD silver Swans, as I am definitely the target age group.

Less than enchanted to discover that the nearest centre to me runs the class at 11 am.  I am 11 years off my state retirement age.  There is no way I will be retiring a day before this - too much accumulated ballet/music debt.  Why are the only classes open to me aimed at lithe young things?  Anything 50 plus seems to be at 11am on a Tuesday morning. 😠😠😠

• Like 1

yet conversely  as someone  firmly of  working age, but currently in a role which is late shift  heavy  ,  i could complain that to get a second class  in a week i have to travel long distances to find a  morning class  that  it;s  exclusivlely  for the  over 55s ... 

sometimes over 55 is because of funding sources / grants  (  e.g.  Age UK  involvement) or  being linked to U3A  as iirc  the 'miniumum' age for  U3A is 55   ... 

55 is also  the  minimum age for  various things to do with occupational pensions  ( although  that is also  going up over time  )  ... 

exclusionary policies  with little justification are an issue, but  sometimes it;s funders that create the 'problem ' 

I returned to ballet at the age of 62 after an over twenty year gap ...but was loathe to try any age related classes so just looked for appropriate level adult ballet classes instead...which I've attended ever since. 

I didn't retire till  just 2 months before I was 65 ..so had to do evening classes anyway. But classes aimed at older people who perhaps have not done ballet before are a good idea. 

Having said that I really enjoyed the over 55 's Friday morning class at Northern Ballet last May and that is the only age related class I've ever attended. I like a range of classes some harder some easier because in the easier classes you can really tidy up basic technique which can get a bit sloppy at times when trying to keep up or concentrating on Rep etc.

Just now, taxi4ballet said:

Perhaps it is a timing thing - most classes after school and in the evenings  are for children and teenagers, so many schools won't have room in their timetable for adult classes unless they schedule them during the day when their younger students are at school.

Depends on the school but equally unless you work lates or 12 hours nights an 8pm class could be a good option for adults.

Well round here where there are adult classes taking place on school premises ....eg using their dance studio and so on...one can only go in the evening because the studio will be used by the school students during the daytime.

I suppose it depends where exactly the classes are taking place.

its the same when using lovely studios in London like Rambert or the Place .....adult dance classes are always in the evening (or sometimes at weekends as well) because the full time dance students or ballet companies need them in the daytime.

1 hour ago, mph said:

Depends on the school but equally unless you work lates or 12 hours nights an 8pm class could be a good option for adults.

My dd's old dance school had classes going on till 9.30/9.45pm for the older teenagers. There is another school near me which runs an adult ballet class on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1