History of Performance course at the V&A

The V&A do a number of yearly courses and there is a new one beginning in September. This is A History of Performance, with the three terms (each 11 weeks) covering Opera, Ballet and Theatre.  The Ballet segment is presented by Jane Pritchard.   The course is on Fridays from 11am to 15:30.  There are details here

https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/2VpNB30l/new-course-history-of-performance

There's a detailed pdf of the course contents available within that link. 

It is possible to book for an individual term (though only the autumn term seems to be bookable as yet).  The autumn term will coincide with the Opera exhibition at the V&A. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

anything given by Jane Pritchard... RUN, don't walk to attend.

Too right .... but don't forget to stuff your wallet with cash before you leave home.  The prices are eye watering.  I would imagine beyond the means of many - certainly myself.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Too right .... but don't forget to stuff your wallet with cash before you leave home.  The prices are eye watering.  I would imagine beyond the means of many - certainly myself.  

That is true, but am I right in finding something seriously amiss with the maths in this:

£910 per term, £819 over 60s, £640
concessions
£80 per day, £72 over 60s, £57 concessions

The ballet course has 11  lectures that I can see, which works out to £880 if you pay the day rate for each of them, or £30 less than the "term" rate.

8 hours ago, toursenlair said:

That is true, but am I right in finding something seriously amiss with the maths in this:

£910 per term, £819 over 60s, £640
concessions
£80 per day, £72 over 60s, £57 concessions

The ballet course has 11  lectures that I can see, which works out to £880 if you pay the day rate for each of them, or £30 less than the "term" rate.

Yes, that's a bit of a puzzle. A guess: perhaps tickets are limited and so there is a risk that if one waits to buy a day seat, one may not get in as all the places are taken? In other words, they are charging a premium for a "guaranteed place"? Or else someone can't count...

I  think that the maths "problem " is caused by the fact that the museum is charging the same rate for each of the three sections of this course. The oddity of the pricing comes about because the opera, ballet and theatre sections of the course do not contain the same number of sessions. The opera and theatre sections each have twelve sessions while the ballet section only runs to eleven sessions. I assume that this is because Easter Sunday falls on 1st April. If the course ran to twelve sessions the last one would have been held on Good Friday and presumably it is thought that most people might have better things to do than attend a series of lectures at the beginning of the Easter weekend. 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2