How would it cost to recreate a show (The Nutrcracker specifically)

MageFilms

So as some of you may know I've been trying to figure out the plot for a short film my production company is producing. 

I've finally got one.

A ballerina-turned-thief and her bungling, ballet-trained accomplices are hired by a crooked art dealer to steal her former ballet company's prized Nutcracker costume on opening night.

Based on the story in America where $30K worth of costumes were stolen before a Nutcracker show. It got me wondering what type of person would actually steal ballet costumes?

Anyway, I've enquired so far and I can get hire the Sadwell's Theatre's main auditorium for £5-8K for the day. 

As it's a heist film, we would need a good deal of the theatre to shoot in so we'd probably need access to a lot more of the theatre than just auditiorium.

This includes entrance, backstage, auditorium and maybe few corridors in between. 

However, there are a few elements we'd have to cheat or come up with an alternative otherwise the budget needed for this will start to get a bit crazy.

> the live orchestra - I reckon I can get a recording of an orchestra and just never actually show one on film 

>costumes - I'm not too worried about this. As I know many costume places in London wouldn't mind offering them for free considering this is supported by Capezio and other backers. 

>the staging - I think this will be the most difficult. The Nutcracker's staging from what I've seen looks quite substantial. We would need staging up until the first reveal of the Nutcrakcer within the show 

ALSO, I must forget about the audience. I have no intentions of filling out a 2,000 capacity room. So I'm thinking possibly up to 100 extras, pre recorded audience sound and never showing the audience in a wide shot should have me get away with it. 

Anyone have experience in this at all?

thanks

Edited by MageFilms

Whatever happened to the last short film you were developing with the ballerina turned advertising executive? I can't believe the day fee for Sadlers Wells, couldn't you use the interior of another regional theatre and cut it with exterior shots of SW?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emilie said:

Whatever happened to the last short film you were developing with the ballerina turned advertising executive?

Or the ethnic minority ballerina? ;)

If you're going to cheat on the audience, don't film them from the stage at the Wells - every single seat in the auditorium is clearly visible from the stage :)

10 hours ago, Emilie said:

Whatever happened to the last short film you were developing with the ballerina turned advertising executive? I can't believe the day fee for Sadlers Wells, couldn't you use the interior of another regional theatre and cut it with exterior shots of SW?

The team prefers this idea as it's something that can be shown better within a short period of time. The Ballet exec is more something for a feature film.

You can't believe the fee as it's very high or very low ? They told me it's usually £18K for show days. £5-8K is just for space alone. 

Tbh, I'm not the biggest fan of how the wells looks. 

We we may be able to cut costs if we do use a regional theatre for the auditorium but exterior of maybe the London colliseum or royal opera as we're cheating the audience shots anyway.

To be fair, even the staging of the nutcracker can be cheated too if we never show a wide angle.

7 hours ago, alison said:

Or the ethnic minority ballerina? ;)

If you're going to cheat on the audience, don't film them from the stage at the Wells - every single seat in the auditorium is clearly visible from the stage :)

I was going to go with that but there already is a short film about that. 

Yeah definitely no wide shots. Audience will shot with close ups.

17 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

If £5-£8k is just for the space, then you will have to pay for any staff needed, surely? The lighting/technical/backstage crew as a bare minimum.

Yeah that is included in the price.