Bad assessment

Missfifi

So, my daughter goes to 2 schools, one bbo graded syllabus where she has consistently achieved high end marks like distinctions in exams, and the other vocational. This term her vocational teacher gave us a mixed assessment. She says that although DD has a fantastic physique for dance, that she is lazy in class and doesn't give it her all. I've spoken to DD and she still says she loves dance but I'm wondering if it's just "that age" (she's almost 10 and has already hit puberty). She needs to continue at the vocational school as the other does not offer enough classes at her level. Should I make her stick at it or am I being selfish??

Hi Missfifi,

Can you just clarify the schools your DD attends. I am a tad confused how she can attend 2 schools one being vocational. I appreciate that you live in Spain so education/training is different to the UK, hence the reason for clarification.  Incl how long has she been at the vocational school?  

Thank you  

The graded school is a stage school which she does all day Saturday. Grade 3 ballet, hip hop, modern tap and lamda. Vocational school is 4 days after school (we finish at 2 here) for between 2 and 3 hours at a time. She does classical vaganova, danza español, stage make up and intro to musicality.

Edited by Missfifi

Thank you, I understand it slightly better now. 

May I suggest you sit down with your DD and ask her if this is to be a career choice or a hobby choice?

I appreciate it is still very early for her to make such a decision but it may go along way to gain an understanding of how she is approaching all these lessons.

How are her academic studies? Will she transfer to senior school like the UK at 11? She may wish to reduce one or two of the lessons and have some free time with her school friends. Excessive tiredness can lead to possible burnout even at just 10 years old.  

Sometimes allowing a break can help a child get off the 'treadmill' for a while and assist in making some important decisions in their life. There is still plenty of time for a young child to climb back on but with renewed energy and focus.

Hope that helps. The poor assessment as you mentioned could just be a frustrated teacher expressing her opinion for a pupil that she sees great potential over and above the other students in the class.

Wish you well. 

• Like 8

Thanks, I had 'the chat' and it turns out that she just feels that she needs more time to relax. Obviously nights are long here and bed times are early so winter term is the hardest. We have agreed that we will extend her bed time an hour from January to give her more time to finish homework and relax online or watching tv on the condition that she tries hard in class. We will keep things as they are until the end of the school year and see where we are. There is another vocational school that concentrates solely on ballet and would only require a 5 hour commitment next year (3 days after school plus one optional stretch). This could be an alternative to the current one which will up training to 5 nights next year. The only downside is the more classical school is considerably more expensive ????????????

Thanks, I had 'the chat' and it turns out that she just feels that she needs more time to relax. Obviously nights are long here and bed times are early so winter term is the hardest. We have agreed that we will extend her bed time an hour from January to give her more time to finish homework and relax online or watching tv on the condition that she tries hard in class. We will keep things as they are until the end of the school year and see where are. There is another vocational school that concentrates solely on ballet and would only require a 5 hour commitment next year (3 days after school plus one optional stretch). This could be an alternative to the current one which will up training to 5 nights next year. The only downside is the more classical school is considerably more expensive

I'm pleased that you have been able to have a chat with your DD.

I appreciate that we want whats best for our children,  I'm just a bit concerned from the way I've read the post (I apologise if I've read it wrong)  that time with friends (online) and TV incl extended bedtime is only on "condition that she tries hard in class". If dancing is her own true passion then no conditions should have to be attached to lessons/training. She is still so very young. By the very fact that you have started a dialogue with your daughter (always a good thing) and hopefully will continue as she grows and develops and her chosen vocation/career path becomes more clear to her. We can only guide, nurture and support but not decide for them, frustrating as it may seem at times. 

I do wish you and your daughter well  :)

• Like 4