alison

Dance on "Christmas" TV and Radio 2016

Can I just get the following in under the stretching definition of dance radar, to include something that isn't dance, but related, loosely, to last week's fairytales.

It's called Revolting Rhymes. Part one was on BBC1 at 6.30pm this evening. I found it by chance as I was channel hopping. Part two is on tomorrow, both are repeated on New Year's Day. It is an animation of the book by Roald Dahl and his spin on Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Jack and the Beanstalk and Cinderella.

It is full of visual jokes and very funny as well as quite sinister. The head wolf is voiced by Dominic West and has the most unnerving yellow eyes. All quite brilliantly imaginative.

Not sure what's happened to my original posting about New Year, but:

New Year's Day, BBC2. 12.55 pm: Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty

I thought there was also a repeat of the Bussell/Fonteyn programme (I think it was) sometime next week, but I can't spot it now.

Quote:

"BBC2, Saturday 24th December, 8.10 am: Hans Christian Andersen - apparently features a ballet including Eric Bruhn and Roland Petit!."

Not only them but also Zizi Jeanmaire in the leading role dances there a lot.

I know it is an early start for Saturday and Xmas Eve but it is worth of watching.

Apologies for the belated response - no internet until today. Does anybody know if Zizi could really piroutte that fast or was it a consequence of the camera? Wonderful dancing by her - so good that I've ordered the DVD - it will make a nice addition to Black Tights (which is excellent IMHO).

• Like 2

Apologies for the belated response - no internet until today. Does anybody know if Zizi could really piroutte that fast or was it a consequence of the camera? Wonderful dancing by her - so good that I've ordered the DVD - it will make a nice addition to Black Tights (which is excellent IMHO).

In my memory, Trog, she was a dazzler ;) 

• Like 1

BBC2, Boxing Day, 5.20 pm: West Side Stories: the Making of a Classic - documentary

This is repeated tomorrow, Wednesday 4th January, at 11.15 pm on BBC2.

Oh, and lookey, Channel 4 tomorrow night, 8 pm, Location, Location, Location: "Kirstie Allsopp searches northeast London for ballet dancer Nicol and his brother Harry, who're joining together in the hope of getting on the property ladder."  I wonder who they can mean? :)

• Like 2