Elmhurst MDS and music tuition

mimi'smom

I am wondering if any existing Elmhurst parents can tell me whether the music tuition funding received as part of the MDS covers one or two instruments? The Elmhurst website says one but I'm sure I've heard from a number of people it is two, Also, when do they get to choose which instrument they are going to do? Do they usually get their first choice? Is priority given to children already studying instruments (DD doesn't currently play any instruments at all)

Many thanks to you all in anticipation of your replies!

Angela

You will probably be given forms to fill in during the induction. You don't have to choose two to start with, you can add in the second one at any point during the year. Not heard of anyone not getting their first choice.

Music tuition is taken during academic time and anything medical or physio will be done during their dance timetable.

• Like 1

If your DD has never learnt an instrument I would suggest starting with just one at first though!! Everything will be new and music is as difficult as dance so don't overburden your dancer!! Have a wonderful experience there!

• Like 1

Elmurst does include 2 music lessons as part of the MDS - and all dance shoes and clothing, and physio and health insurance (with £100 excess per year) - which is just another thing to add to the mix when considering which school to choose if fortunate enough to get mutliple offers.

Piano and flute for DS - piano for the first time, flute building on previous study. But what an excllent way to help build the musicality aspect of dance. Maybe if you do want to take advantage of the two 'free" lessons, and if your child has no experience of music lessons, use the voice lessons as the extra choice?

• Like 1

Thank you stirrups and taximom

We were thinking of vocal as one of the instruments as it's probably a good fall back re musical theatre (but also no instrument to buy, carry, break or lose!) It will be be so lovely that she now has time to learn an instrument!

Thanks again everyone for your replies!

Angela

Sound advice given above, especially as the children are generally taken out of their academic lessons to have their individual music tuition and they have to catch up on academic lessons missed. Remember also they are expected to practice their instruments daily, so its an extra thing to do in an already busy day. Music lessons don't always start at the very beginning on the school year though, a chance for the children to begin to adjust to their new busy and exciting routine! No need to feel pressured to start music lessons straight away, it depends on the individual child, you can always add in later! Exciting times enjoy the 7th!!!

I can certainly vouch for the singing lessons at Elmhurst and my DD has really enjoyed the choir. She's going to miss that when she graduates this month! The music has been a real bonus for her. Hope all the new starters have a lovely day on the 7th and enjoy the show too. x

• Like 3