Coupé jeté en tournant tips?

Gargouillade

I'm struggling with doing these well and would appreciate any tips from the knowledgeable people on this forum. I can't get the appearance of being suspended in the air during the jeté although I have good elevation in grand allegro more generally. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

They're very difficult so don't despair! In fact although the boys do them as great leaps, we ladies can actually use jete elance type grand jetes - ie lower and darting along the floor rather than a high leap. Think of going down on the coupe chasse en tournant in order to build up impetus and then dart forward extending both legs at the same time.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1

Thank you both so much for the advice, I'll try your tips out in my next class  :) My teacher says I have a very elevated and suspended grand jeté but it all goes wrong when I do them en tournant! I think I've been trying to do them as the boys do. The idea of darting forward and doing a little extra battement at the height of the jump is very helpful!

I think in dance tend to think of most movement actually initiated by the body itself rather than the legs or arms ....if you get my meaning

So if you think of the body doing the turn ....and the legs enabling it to happen and the arms sort of moving because the body is taking them with it.. ....then you may find your body goes with you so to speak and doesn't get left behind!!

Don't think I've explained this very well but maybe you will understand what I mean?!!

• Like 3

Good luck! But it's not that easy a step!

There may be a slight leaning forwards as you need your weight in alignment over the front leg as it comes down to start the coupe.

I think going for the "darting along" approach is a good way to approach this step ......though I hasten to add am not a qualified dance teacher .....just going from own experience to do it and what various teachers have said in class etc.

Anyway a bit like a coil and spring and a jete released like a speeding arrow!!

The dynamic to me would obviously be on the jete so written for emphasis like this

Coupe JETE coupe JETE coupe JETE ....obviously with the turn .....but getting the dynamic of steps is very important ...and thinking where the body is going to next and so on.