Photographs, the internet and copyright

taxi4ballet

Does anyone know anything about this subject please?

DD took a photo, it has been liked and shared on FB rather a lot and has gone a bit viral (which she is thrilled about as it is rather good), and we're wondering whether we need to do anything so that people know that the image belongs to her. 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

It may be too late for the one that has gone viral but I think a lot of professional photographers have a "watermark" on their online photographs.

Also when posting perhaps you could comment: photograph by xxxxx, can only be shared with permission.

Terpsichore may be able to advise too.

• Like 1

I've noticed sometimes there is a little white tab across the bottom of some photos posted on Instagram for example if a BRB dancer posts a company taken picture on their personal feed. It has the name of person who took photo. Obviously can't find an example now I need one. And don't have Instagram so no idea if it is purely a function from there.

On Instagram you can enforce your copyright quite effectively.  I took and posted some original pics of Genie Bouchard at Wimbledon, which then got pinched by a couple of fan sites without giving any credit - getting thousands of likes (and hence adding to the value of the site).  When they didn't respond to a request for a credit, I was able very quickly to report it to Instagram, who deleted the pics from their accounts and sent them a warning.  On the next pic I posted, I added some text (needs to be somewhere where they can't crop it or photoshop it out).

Yes, it's flattering - just annoying when people don't name check the originator so they get the credit for their work.  I know Gene Schiavone gets very hot under the collar about this, both on FB and Instagram (indeed on the latter at one point someone had set up a fake account in Gene's name full of his photos, and it was getting more likes than his real account!)

I used to be a keen photographer a few years ago, and seem to remember if I happened to get a saver, I would register it just in case. This would prevent anyone from using it without my permission. If I was working for someone else, as I did from time to time, then they would own the copywrite. I reckon it would be nigh on impossible to stop anyone using a pic without a copywrite on it so to speak, as they could just say they took the photo.

It was just a snap of her and her pals that she took on her phone and then put on FB  :) She's not into photography, it's a complete fluke...

The quality of some mobile phone cameras nowadays is amazing, easily capable of taking money shots. I think I would just smile to myself knowing " I took that shot"  :)

• Like 2