Free performances at Tate Modern by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker

I have just passed through Tate Modern and came across this. Seems to be rehearsal rather than performance and there was a rope barrier across the turbine hall to keep us out. The Tate site says "Audience members are welcome to sit in and around the dancers on the dance floor." This was not the case. AT de K didn't seem to be there. Still, I'll try and go back. 

I was meeting friends in the area and managed to drag them into the Tate to take a look. I didn't have long to watch the dancers, but the audience was allowed onto the dance floor when I was there, and AT de K was definitely there. I didn't get much of an impression of the choreography, because of my lack of time, but I did think the general style of performance was interesting. The audience members sat or stood all over the dance floor, and the dancers sometimes had to improvise if someone was in their way, but if the audience wasn't directly preventing them from completing a movement, they went ahead and did it anyway, no matter how close they got to audience members because of it. The dancers gave no recognition of the audience's reactions; they completely ignored them.

Overall, I wish I could have seen more, but it was a very intriguing idea.

Thanks for the report Vicky, it sounds intriguing.

These type of "installation dances" seem to becoming increasingly popular.  Doing the links, I have seen quite a few reports from the USA of dance installations.  I think, though, that ATdeK's is probably the most famous company I have heard of doing one.

So glad I was able to go back this afternoon and participate as a member of the audience in the Turbine Hall amongst the dancers. The band too moved around the space, grand piano and all. Less like what we normally experience in the theatre it could not have been and the whole thing was rather thrilling. AT de K very much in evidence and keeping an eye on things. 

• Like 2