Japan

We are lucky enough to have tickets for Don Quixote in Tokyo on Sept 26th ... but I'm having great difficulty in finding out much about the company or dancers from the various websites.

I'd be very grateful for any pointers, info, or even free-association-type thoughts that will help us feel better prepared!

Thanks!

Simonbfisher you are coming to see Evgenia Obraztsova at NBA Ballet?

Here is the official website of the company.

http://www.nbaballet.org/ 

Unfortunately only in Japanese.

The artistic director is Koichi Kubo who was a former principal at Colorado Ballet and a medalist at Moscow International Competition. The repertoire is mainly 19th century classics but Kubo has been bringing newer works such as Tudor's Leaves are Fading and Great Galloping Gottschalk by Lynn Tyler Corbett, and Wheeldon's Midsummer Night's Dream. They also host a major ballet competition in Japan.

The level of the dancers are quite high but some of the male dancers are a little short in height, such as Evgenia's partner this time. Yasumasa Omori, who studied at the Bolshoi Academy and danced in an Ukraine company. She had previously danced Kitri in 2009 here. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Naomi. This is really something to look forward to! I'm very grateful for this information. Will you also be there for the performance on the 26th?

And Alison, yes - it looks as if we shall be very lucky!  :)

Yes I plan to come to the performance. However I will also be going to an All Tudor Performance at another company in the afternoon so I am not sure I can be in time for the beginning of the performance. I will try! 

• Like 1

Naomi, it would be lovely if we could say hello either during the interval or after the performance! Do you think that might be possible?

Sure, I will look for you. I am not sure I will be in time at the beginning of the intermission but I will try! 

If you have any questions about Japan or anything please ask me.