Normal, everyday leather split sole shoes

annaliesey

Capezio Juliets are great. We get leather and canvas versions, for performing and for classwork. The canvas ones go through the washing machine and come up like new.

(edited to add washing tip!)

Edited by Cara in NZ
  • Like 1

No real preference on brand.

She's been wearing canvass as really likes them but a) she pokes her toes through them after a short while so I was thinking something a bit more hard wearing would be better and B) more importantly she's hyper mobile and got orthotics on order so I thought something a bit more supportive than canvass would be a good idea.

She had a beatiful capezio shoe before but I dont know the model (rubbed off) and I certainly don't know the widths so looks like we are actually going to have to go into a shop! Haha

I was looking at bloch that have "power mesh arch insert" but I don't know what that is!!!

If it's the one I'm thinking of they have a mesh arch insert with elastic running down the centre to pull the extra material in when you point your foot. That style is about 1/2 size smaller than the other Bloch ones which I have always found pretty true to street size in length and width.

• Like 1

I think if you want dd to wear orthotics inside flatties you need to take them with you to try the shoes on. It isn't going to be easy and I can't imagine comfortable to dance in, how will she manage to go through Demi pointe or fully point her foot?

Both my kids wore bespoke orthotics but never wore them in ballet shoes. Instead ballet teacher was aware of their hyper mobility and would explain how they should be using their feet and how to stand, constantly correcting any rolling. As they got older between dance teacher and physio they were given exercises and knowledge to strengthen feet. Both now have strong feet and good arches but older one finds it uncomfortable to walk any distance without orthotics but is very hyper mobile in many joints.

The Bloch shoes with the mesh insert have a diamond shaped elastic mesh fabric under the arch, they hug the foot.

• Like 2

Thanks Jane. I just read my post and it sounded like I was aiming for DD to wear orthotics in her ballet shoes when actually I didn't mean that :) I was thinking that just a ballet flat that was a bit more sturdy than canvass would be a good idea.

She only went to podiatrist about 2 weeks ago and diagnosed so a bit new to us. But DD knew she was rolling in which was why we booked appointment

Ballet teacher hasn't said a word. It was actually a different teacher altogether that mentioned to us when DD did 3 lessons with her so I'm not very reassured at the moment that current teacher will have much to contribute but I think I'll have a chat with her :)

The first thing DD asked podiatrist was whether she needed to wear the inserts for dance and she (podiatrist) said no.

I think we'll have to go shopping in next few days and considering how much time she spends in ballet flats it's prob best for her to try on :)

• Like 1