Muscle bulk

Loulabelle

My DD is naturally on the broad side in her shoulders, genetic and nothing can be done about that. However I am concerned that she is looking broader due to muscle bulk which I think has been built up during fitness/gym classes that are compulsory in her dance school.

She has long lean (but muscular legs) and narrow hips which look lovely but emphasize her shoulders even more.

Can anyone advise me what sort of exercises she should and shouldn't be doing for her upper body and any suggestions how to retain the strength but loose the bulk? 

I am happy to speak to her teacher about cutting out certain exercises in the gym class but would like to go armed with a few suggestions for others exercises she can do in their place.

She is wanting to apply for classical courses for 2017 entry (6th form) so really needs to work on her body in the correct way now.

I thoroughly recommend obtaining the Progressive Ballet Technique DVDs by Marie Walton Mahon. She could do some long thera band upper body work to help train the neck muscles away and work the back. And she needs to do masses of stretching..of the arms and shoulders and neck..always forgotten by most!

If it's genetic there's not a lot you can do. Have you spoken to your DD's dance teacher about your concerns? She might not be concerned about it... Or you could even get a second opinion. A lot of the ballet companies and vocational schools are now (thankfully) recognising that upper body training is not an evil, and are encouraging their girls to lift weights as well as the boys. Muscular dancers are becoming more sought after.

The PBT work mentioned above is brilliant, and having had Callie Roberts teach it at MIDAS this year, I would thoroughly recommend it. 

• Like 1

Thank you both that's very helpful. Will look for the DVD's recommended.

The fitness training she receives is very general, not ballet specific, there aren't really any other serious ballet dancers at her school. Were she planning to go the commercial or MT route, it wouldn't be of concern to me.

Does she do any classical training elsewhere? Does her current teacher have a track record of classical ballet students going to upper schools? The only reason I ask these questions are to ascertain which teachers to ask for reassurance. I hope you can find someone to ask about your concerns before acting on them as it might not be as bad as you fear :-) 

I would be tempted to have a dance Physio assessment. If she is building bulk she is possibly using some muscles more than others so is becoming unbalanced. She is possibly not engaging some muscles correctly and the others are compensating.