One foot more pointy than the other

annaliesey

DD getting super frustrated tonight that her right foot a lot less pointy than her left. She's been doing strengthening exercises but getting upset that she can't see any improvement

She had appointment with podiatrist earlier this week and she's hyper mobile and it's been recommended that she build up strength. She's got insoles on order.

Can anyone recommend good foot strengthening exercises.

Apparently she needs to exercise the small muscles and ligaments

Try asking her teacher. She should be able to help as I'm sure they recommend similar excercises to strengthen those small intrinsic muscles for pointe work. Off the top of my head I think my teacher told me to pick up pencils with my toes, one called piano toes where you try and lift each toe individually (takes a lot of concentration!) and also just lots and lots of slow, technically correct tendus making sure to work right through the feet and toes. I know it's frustrating but I think every dancer has a favourite foot that is stronger, more flexible...

• Like 1

Thank you munchkin and Dr dance :)

Because it's the holidays she won't see her teacher now until September so just thought I would ask here in case anyone had recommendations :)

She's gone through the video that you posted Dr dance and loved those exercises but she used a rolling pin as didnt have a foot roller. Might invest in one of those for her though as they look pretty cool to use.

She has got a little pink ball that she bought from teacher which they use at the end of a pointe class so she used that tonight too

We really has a giggle with her trying to do piano toes though as she said they were not cooperating at all! Interestingly it was her weaker foot where Ste could ever so slightly lift individual toes and on her good foot only the big toe and little toe lifted individually and the other three toes seemed glued together!!

She could also do ankle flexibility exercises.  It is possible that the flexibility in one of her ankles is less than the other and that is really what makes the pointe.  I often show my students the difference in my point if I use the ankle movement to the full or not - the foot is basically being held in the same shape, but the movement of the ankle is what counts in the end.

• Like 2