Flexibility for associate classes

Primaballerina1

I think that you need to talk to her teachers - they can tell you whats what, expectations etc - as they see your daughter and her range. 

Take your guidance from them.  Is your daughter doing her stretches regularly - are the stretches sufficient, being done correctly?

I can only talk about our classes - by that age it would be usual to be in one or two out of 3 splits if not all 3, but not 100% essential as a lot of the training we do helps flexibility. As for full floor point, I don't know anyone who 'expects' that - it's completely down to the bony structure of the foot and ankle, and that range of motion isn't always achievable. All I look for is strength in the foot and ankle, and at least a horizontal line in the 'pencil test (look up pointe pencil test). 

Your DD's teacher is the best person to give you advice on this! 

• Like 2

I think that you need to talk to her teachers - they can tell you whats what, expectations etc - as they see your daughter and her range.

Take your guidance from them. Is your daughter doing her stretches regularly - are the stretches sufficient, being done correctly?

Yes she does half an our (on average) everyday of foot exercises for strengthening and then around ten minutes in total of stretching her feet. She also does around 3/4 of an hour or an hour of hamstring, splits stretching and strengthening.

Edited by Primaballerina1

Wow, my daughter is starting to finally do some stretches on her own at 12, it is definitely not as much as your DD does, very impressive! She must have an amazing drive! My daughter wants the dream but didn't think she needed to put in the work! I think she finally realizes it is a tough competitive world after a few wait lists and call backs but no straight yeses for RBSS and our national youth ballet! It is a tough journey these girls want to start!

Edited by irishballetmom