Teaching career

Extension

To make the DBS ongoing you have to register for the Update Service at the time you apply for your DBS or within a very short timeframe of receiving your Certificate.  It is then renewed annually.  Any organisation can then check the status of your DBS at any given moment.  You can also see online on your account who has checked the status of your Certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 16:14, Picturesinthefirelight said:

There is now provision for the check to become portable for an annual fee if £12 I think. This means that employers can log online to check the status & any convictions since the original check was undertaken are highlighted. 

Thank you, I thought it was £19, the main problem I had was that I wasn't aware of the extra costs that has to be made as soon as certificate is issued. Can't be done retrospectively. I wasn't aware that an employer could then access the records themselves. I thought they could apply or a new certificate is issued annually if the additional funds were paid for when original check was completed. But at the end of the day the DBS check only for convictions. It is a sad world we now live in that we all have to presume that every adult is guilty unless we can constantly prove that we are innocent.

I am fully behind the importance of it all but sometimes bureaucracy can drive even the calmest of people insane.  

As a parent helper at my sons school I still needed to be checked. I've been there longer than some fully qualified teachers! With my DBS check accepted at one school but not another even though both are covered by the same Police Force!