All England Regionals & behaviour rant

Waitingmum

We were also at the West of England Festival. My DD really enjoyed it and although she did not get through to the finals we weren't really expecting to and she danced the best I have seen her. I actually found the other parents to be really nice and had some lovely conversations which was good as we were on on our own. My DD also really loved being backstage with the other children who she said were all really nice and supportive - she was also in C section. I thought the organisation was good and I saw some amazing dancers and group dances and this seems to have inspired my daughter, she is now practising her "tricks" and wants to do more festivals (aargh)

The standard seemed to be high in my DD class with more than the first 3 getting honours and I felt that those who won were rightly deserving of the accolade. My other daughter was pretty good at picking the winners.  I did not watch many of the other sections as we were there as a family so unfair on my other DD who was not competing but I did see a dance done by the most delightful little trio of girls who could only have been about 4 or 5 and it was amazing, so cute and they were perfectly together, how do they get them to practice? It was a joy to watch and got a cheer from the audience (and I don't think it was just from their own parents). Like you Dancing Days I tried to make a point of congratulating other dancers personally if I have really enjoyed it.

Congratulations to your DD's for getting through to finals - I always think that if you enjoy the opportunity to dance, it is essentially a subjective competition and you should just relish the experience of being able to perform on stage in front of an audience as this can only be helpful to your future  whether it is on the stage or doing a presentation at work. It is about trying to be the best that you can be.

Waitingmum - I suspect that it was just a few people and you were a bit unlucky, I hope that you go to the finals. :)

One moan though, I do find people on their mobile phones when in the auditorium with the bright light shining out a bit annoying though. Switch it off!  :angry:

• Like 3

Sandsfoot, those young dancers were amazing weren't they...and they were so excited when I congratulated them afterwards in the dressing room! So well rehearsed and performed - it would be interesting to follow their journeys.

You're right about the standard in C Section...extremely strong group of dancers x

• Like 1

We were at a different regional final but also experiencd this - DD was called a loser by one piece of work (she got distinction with special commendation in said dance)

Some of the mums were really rude too, talking loudly about other dancers in the room and treating their own children like dirt. I was horrified tbh.

I was also a bit shocked at the organisation at times tbh, e.g. the annoucing ladies talking while dances on (without turning mics off!)

That's such a shame southerndancemum.....I always tell my DD that if she behaved in a "spoilt" or "ungracious" way at a Festival, it would be the last one I'd enter her in....there is no excuse for bad manners and nasty attitudes.....

This is my DD's last hurray with All England.  She's at vocational school now but qualified her solos before she started there so we got permission from school to see this AE Competition through...so I'm really pleased for her that she's through to the final again as no opportunity for regular rehearsal being away at school...but personally, I won't miss the "Mummy Stress" of it all !

• Like 2

We were at a different regional final but also experiencd this - DD was called a loser by one piece of work (she got distinction with special commendation in said dance)

Some of the mums were really rude too, talking loudly about other dancers in the room and treating their own children like dirt. I was horrified tbh.

I was also a bit shocked at the organisation at times tbh, e.g. the annoucing ladies talking while dances on (without turning mics off!)

Gosh that is terrible - I am sorry that this happened to you but hopefully it does not reflect the majority of dancers and their parents.

What have people to gain from being like this, I just don't understand.

• Like 1

We were also at the West regional final and I have to say we didn't come across any "bad behaviour" - Dd said everyone was friendly backstage. We are usually on our own so dd has always made an effort to be friendly and I hope that I have taught both my dds to treat others as you would like to be treated. We actually encountered a lot of awful behaviour - parents and children, at one of the qualifying festivals and have decided not to attend that one again - it's a shame because both my dds have made lovely friends and look forward to meeting them at the different festivals we go to. These are a minority I have to say, but disappointing all the same. We came home really disillusioned but our experience at the regionals (first time there) has restored our faith again !!

• Like 2