Hurst Lodge School, Ascot?

southerndancemum

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has and feedback on Hurst Lodge School in Ascot.  I've had it suggested to me as somewhere to look at for my DD.  She desperately wants to go to vocational school (ideally Tring) for yr 7 (currently yr 4) but I'm not sure i'll be able to afford the fees even with funding help should we get it.

I cant find anything on this school on here, or anywhere else, and just hoping to find out if its worth looking at or not.  They dont seem to audition to get in which makes me curious as to the standard of dancers there.

Tia

From what I can see, this is like most private schools in that they offer dance as part of the curriculum. You will find many do RAD syllabus as standard (I think Upton House - a private day school in Ascot does) so rather than taking your child to lessons after the school day they are included. Fees look high - typical for area. If you are sending your child to private education anyway - yes , you might as well research for the one with best dance provision. Otherwise, save your pennies (well - pounds, let's get real her)for when they are of an age for vocational school. To be honest you will probably find they do 1 typical length lesson per week & may have to do with whole class so including many who do not wish to be there. She may enjoy more & benefit better from classes after main school at a dance school in her area where kids have chosen/shown an interest to be there. Look at Associate schemes too as I think these give a good lead into what is expected for succeeding at auditions for Yr 7 entry.

• Like 5

Well that's a blast from the past! I started my teaching career at Hurst Lodge too many years ago to mention!!! I was so young I was still dancing myself, taking exams and stuff (I only taught part time as I was still writing up my PhD thesis). I have to say in those days the standard was very high with two excellent dance teachers, I don't know if they are still there now, I would have to look on the website. I know that they did RAD and ISTD exams and the results were high. Several girls went to vocational school at 16 and 18 if I remember correctly Laines, Bird, Urdang etc.

No help really since I don't know what its like now but still,

DRSC