Friends of Covent Garden ticket query

Hi. I'm thinking of becoming a Friend in time for the new season. I will be wanting to book for myself and a few others to see The Nutcracker in January, but I've just noticed on the ROH website that although one can book up to four tickets, they may restrict it to fewer in certain performances. This could make things a little awkward. Has anyone experienced this happening? I guess I want to get an idea of how likely it is to happen.

I think they sometimes restrict opera tickets to two, but I have never encountered a ballet where I couldn't buy four tickets. I have frequently needed five tickets and have got the four on Friends booking day and then had to wait for the release of further friends tickets prior to public booking. In some instances I found I actually had a better choice of a fifth seat by waiting for general booking to open. However, it did mean that one of us,(usually me) ended up a couple of rows away from the other four!

I have found the only way to get four good seats together is to use the drop down menu for 'best available' seats in whichever seating area you wish to book. If you try getting four individual tickets into a basket, by the time you have loaded a couple in, the others have gone. That way I once finished up four rows further back than when I started for Romeo and Juliet and it was a very frustrating experience.

The only way to get four seats together and be able to stipulate a preference say for an aisle seat, is by calling the box office. More than four and you will have to book in two lots.

Hope that helps :-)

Nutcracker always sells out, so worth booking early - but with plenty of shows, you should have no trouble getting 3 tickets if you book when public booking opens. Most people won't be thinking of Christmas shows in June - except us nutty ballet fans, looking for cheap tickets to multiple shows! The ones AFTER Christmas, will be available the longest.

Good luck and hope you get the seats you want