Royal Ballet DVDs — Macbook Pro problems?

Gargouillade

(Hello mods, not sure if this is the right forum for this post, apologies in advance if it isn't)

I was just trying to watch my Mayerling DVD purchased a few months ago but my Macbook Pro keeps spitting the disc out of the drive after it whirs about for half a minute in my computer. It's an NTSC all regions disc (whatever that means!) and according to information online, Macbook CD drives play both NTSC and PAL discs.

Could anyone more technologically savvy help me out with this? Thanks in advance!

DDD:  Title adjusted and moved into 'Not Dance.'  Despite some years now of running an iMac, I'm no expert - but can you see if the DVD registers at all under 'Devices' in your 'Finder'?  (I'm assuming that much is identical to iMac.)  If it's not doing that much, there may well be some compatibility problem.  And does it play OK in a DVD Player, do you know?

DDD: have you tried playing it anywhere else, to rule out the possibility that it might be faulty?  Alternatively, could your software be faulty?  (Since my laptop got attacked by a virus some time ago, I've been unable to get the DVD player to play anything, and I don't have access to the installation disk to reinstall it).  Do other DVDs play all right on the machine?

Yes, as Alison suggests, try the disk in someone else's computer or dvd player. Also try other dvds in your laptop - if they fail too then it's the drive. Like any other hardware, dvd drives may fail - my wife's old Macbook has somewhat similar symptoms to yours so I bought an external drive which is fine (and a lot cheaper than getting someone to instal a new one in the machine).

I don't think it would have anything to do with NTSC or PAL which are different recording standards. UK-sourced machines will read both, though the European standard is PAL. As far as I know most US machines only like NTSC. The Regions thing is another pain but if the disk is All Regions then that can't be relevant.

If you live anywhere near an Apple Store then you can always take your computer in to one of their Genius Bars - wonderful free diagnostic service.

Thanks everyone! It's just the RB DVDs... (both my Mayerling and Metamorphosis, newly bought). Everything else works so I thought it might be the discs themselves rather than my Macbook. The DVD does not get registered at all under 'Devices' in my 'Finder'... just spins around in the drive for a bit and then is mysteriously ejected.

I'll try to play it somewhere else on someone else's computer and see how that goes!