Turnout Strength

swanprincess

same! it's such a pain having the rotation but being like parallel in centre!!!????

apart from just really working on using the correct muscles at barre so that you build and can then maintain strength, one exercise I've found really useful is 'clams'. so you lie on your side with your knees bent and the lift the top leg so your knee faces the ceiling then lower it slowly. just keep doing reps of this and you should really feel those muscles. you can tie a theraband around your knees to make it harder.

but yeah unfortunately it's a gradual thing and I think the best thing is just to work the muscles through practice and barre work.

good luck!!!!

Do barre work either on a slippy floor, or standing on plastic bags on carpet, or something like that. It will mean you need to use your turnout muscles in your hips on your standing leg more which is really important. Even better, you can get some rotating discs to stand on or try standing on a turnboard.

Also you need to make sure that you're using your core properly and your pelvic alignment is neutral / well lifted.

• Like 3

Do barre work either on a slippy floor, or standing on plastic bags on carpet, or something like that. It will mean you need to use your turnout muscles in your hips on your standing leg more which is really important. Even better, you can get some rotating discs to stand on or try standing on a turnboard.

Also you need to make sure that you're using your core properly and your pelvic alignment is neutral / well lifted.

How funny you should post this today. I was advising my advanced lads earlier to treat todays more slippery than usual floor as an opportunity to feel how their turnout muscles should be working! It was a fight to maintain it I can tell you!

• Like 3