Royal Ballet: Draft Works 2015

Every year, the choreographic talent within the Royal Ballet's ranks, are given the chance to explore their potential in Draft Works (curated by Wayne MacGregor). Some are nearly complete works, some just early sketches. All are done in snatched moments of spare time, whenever their colleagues are free from rehearsal or performance.

I was at the dress rehearsal - so here a re a few photos:

16007862974_864101da9a_z.jpg
Nicol Edmonds & Matthew Ball in Joshua Beamish's 'burrow'
© Dave Morgan.
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

16007861774_bc7b5d2776_z.jpg
Fumi Kaneko & Tristan Dyer in Valentino Zucchetti's Elégie du souvenir
© Dave Morgan.

16630025205_e0e3599b04_z.jpg
Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Luca Acri, Matthew Ball; behind Teo Dubreuil, Maria Barroso in
Marcellino Sambe's Dez Days
© Dave Morgan.

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: First Drafts 2015

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 2

I don't see why we wouldn't want to review or report?  The newspapers have!  I am going tonight so will try and write a few words tomorrow.  I am sure that someone else will provide the choreographers/dancers involved before then.  If not, I will be happy to do so.

• Like 1

This isn't really a review as such, just a few thoughts. The Joshua Beamish piece had its moments - some interesting poses/freezes, and dynamic interractions between its two male dancers - I just kept thinking I wished one was a female. Valentino Zucchetti's short work was gorgeous - I'm probably biased here, as seeing Fumi Kaneko dancing and so up close, is always a treat. He manged to make her look all the more beautiful though, with some exquisite phrasing in partnership with Tristan Dyer, enhanced by the live music (piano and cello), sounded like the music Liam Scarlett used in Sweet Viotets (I am prepared to be corrected if mistaken). Sander Blommaert's piece was the most ambitious in terms of numbers used (he gave roles to ALL the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers, for example) and was mesmersing and moving - from the music chosen, which really resonated with me, to the motions he put his 'corps' through. But this was a piece for his 'best mate' Camille Bracher, who was utterly fabulous; he certainly drove her to angst, that's for sure! Erico Montes piece was a combination of solos, duets and threesome and looked great. He certainly got the young lads (David Donnelly and Benjamin Ella) to "up their game" to dance with a 1st soloist, and Akane Takada looked sublime throughout. Matched the music perfectly (to my eyes/ears combo), an elegant joy. The most fun piece was definitely Marcellino Sambe's (and his Hawaiian shirts). Starting with a Shechter-ish group movement, developed into a striking pdd, and then back to the group dance. Stirring stuff.
So my faves of the evening - Fumi Kaneko, some gasp-inducing lifts, some goosebump inducing music - and those Hawaiian shirts! (I want one!)

• Like 2

Thank you Sim for pointing it out.

Looks like it was as good as usual (if a bit shorter). Was anyone there and on the "wrong" side of the stage? I remember last year that few pieces took into account the traverse setting, the only mention seems to imply it was the case again, was it an exception?