Summer school/classes/training

drdance

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether to run a summer course this year. I originally decided against it as the 'market' already seems saturated, and in recent years we've struggled to break even.

However - I just wondered if there was something that parents or DC's were looking for in a SS that current options don't provide, or meet? I doubt it, as there are so many choices already available, but worth a try anyway!

What would your ideal SS look like?

I appreciate most people may disagree, but I would like a summer school that doesn't have an end-of-course performance. I think that it would be more valuable to spend time doing ballet technique, pointe, pas de deux etc, rather than learning and rehearsing a variation to perform. I would rather spend say 2 hours learning a solo, and then learn a different one the next day, as opposed to spending the whole week perfecting one solo to perform. Also (I don't know if this would be practical) but could you offer different classes at the same time, so the students could choose which ones to attend? that way, the students could personalise their program to what they would like to focus on (for example, I would find a pointe class more beneficial than a jazz class, but i know that differs depending on the dancer). Also, I would like floorbarre, strengthening & conditioning classes, perhaps with a private lesson to identify my areas for improvement, and develop a routine of exercises that could be done daily at home

• Like 5

I appreciate most people may disagree, but I would like a summer school that doesn't have an end-of-course performance. I think that it would be more valuable to spend time doing ballet technique, pointe, pas de deux etc, rather than learning and rehearsing a variation to perform. I would rather spend say 2 hours learning a solo, and then learn a different one the next day, as opposed to spending the whole week perfecting one solo to perform. Also (I don't know if this would be practical) but could you offer different classes at the same time, so the students could choose which ones to attend? that way, the students could personalise their program to what they would like to focus on (for example, I would find a pointe class more beneficial than a jazz class, but i know that differs depending on the dancer). Also, I would like floorbarre, strengthening & conditioning classes, perhaps with a private lesson to identify my areas for improvement, and develop a routine of exercises that could be done daily at home

I think that Swanprincess has hit on something here. 

There are so few opportunities for dancers - advanced level 15plus - to learn variations and partner work unless they are already in full-time training, and many never get the opportunity to learn proper solos etc. The few summer schools at this level are selective and tend to fill up with vocational upper-school students (UK & international). Choreography and improvisation are also things that tend not to be covered in ballet training and aren't really in syllabus work at all.

• Like 3