Ashton's Symphonic Variations

I was going to add this to the thread about the RB's Ashton Mixed Bill but it is going a bit off-topic so I've started this one instead.

In the BBC's recent documentary about the RB "Dancing in the Blitz", there was a clip of the dress rehearsal of the first production of SV.  The only surviving dancer from the original cast, Henry Danton, talked about it as being a relaxation for the dancers to dance something that was pure dance.  Despite its technical difficulties those who danced it in the past apparently loved it.

According to the programme (narrated by David Bintley) the clip has never been seen before which opens up all sorts of possibilities.  If it's from the RB archives maybe more film from this era will be made available for us to see.  Incidentally, if anyone missed this fascinating documentary, I have a home recording which I am happy to lend.

Linda

• Like 1

Hopefully I'm not breaking any copyright laws since this was put onto YouTube by the British Film Institute, but is this the clip you mean, loveclassics? Unfortunately there isn't a sound track.

I don't know why this forum doesn't let me C&P half the time, but I'll write out the URL longhand. If I make a mistake, you can find the clip at YouTube by searching on Symphonic Variations Fonteyn.

http://youtu.be/1MbOUQ-agiw

Edited by Melody

It sometimes lets me use C&P and sometimes doesn't. I haven't figured out any pattern yet although there must be one. This is in IE - it tends to behave better in Chrome.

Actually, let me try it in Chrome and see if I can get the video to embed - that's also something that happens sometimes in IE but not always.

ETA: it worked! and I didn't have to use "Use Full Editor" to do this edit. IE really is a pain sometimes.

Edited by Melody

Hopefully I'm not breaking any copyright laws since this was put onto YouTube by the British Film Institute, but is this the clip you mean, loveclassics? Unfortunately there isn't a sound track.

I don't know why this forum doesn't let me C&P half the time, but I'll write out the URL longhand. If I make a mistake, you can find the clip at YouTube by searching on Symphonic Variations Fonteyn.

http://youtu.be/1MbOUQ-agiw

Hard to tell since the BBC clip was at 'normal' speed and the YouTube one is speeded up, rather like film from 30 years earlier.

According to YouTube it WAS the same clip but although it starts OK it becomes unwatchable after a little while as it is sooo fast.

Edited after I checked the extra info on YouTube.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics