Differences between BATD ballet and BBO ballet?

esme

My dds both studied ballet and jazz BATD syllabus and then younger dd also joined an RAD school and although there were variations in style I would say they were very much on a par ability wise. I think BATD intermediate was more difficult than RAD as there was a lot more pointe work, however I think RAD Adv 1 is more difficult than BATD. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your comments

I don't know anything about BATD either, but it's possible the grades might work the other way round - i.e, Grade 1 is the highest grade. This is how it works for gymnastics levels, Or perhaps the junior grades are on a different grading system altogether, like Red, Blue, Yellow, etc, and only at a more advanced level do the actual Grades kick in. One of my children did ice skating for quite a long time, and that had a complicated system that I never quite got my head around which went from Level 1 to 10, then Bronze, Silver, Gold, then Level 1 to 10 again, but on a different system. And in the Russian ballet schools abroad, I believe they only start counting the levels from about age 11, so that would be a level 1 for an 11- or 12-year-old.

Unfortunately, I wish it was but it is just the opposite but thank you for your comments.

Like Flit and Float, I also contacted the BATD around some years ago when I was considering joining an exam board and they sent me a folder with a syllabus in.

I haven't got the info anymore and can't remember any of the content but I can only assume they have a rule that you have to pass grade 2 in order to enter grade 3 and so on. Either that or the school in question hasn't got classes for higher grades but that seems less likely in view of the fact that a number of people have been told the same thing.

• Like 2

I have the ballet syllabus just now and it doesn't mention anything about grade order or going back to grade 2 etc (maybe there's a rule book somewhere!) I do remember ages & ages ago when I'd done BATD tap & modern medals & stage (tap & modern) grades that when my dance school started doing the seperate tap & modern grades we (Seniors so pretty experienced) had to do Grade 1 tap & modern, which seems pretty ridiculous now! They were easy & we all came put with top grades (we didn't do the exam with 7 year olds!) seems a bit of a money maker?!

• Like 2

I have the ballet syllabus just now and it doesn't mention anything about grade order or going back to grade 2 etc (maybe there's a rule book somewhere!) I do remember ages & ages ago when I'd done BATD tap & modern medals & stage (tap & modern) grades that when my dance school started doing the seperate tap & modern grades we (Seniors so pretty experienced) had to do Grade 1 tap & modern, which seems pretty ridiculous now! They were easy & we all came put with top grades (we didn't do the exam with 7 year olds!) seems a bit of a money maker?!

These comments from yourself and invisiblecircus are very interesting. I think I'll try and contact BATD again and see if I have any joy.  They previously said that the dance school would have the syllabus, however, the dance studio wouldn't let you see the syllabus unless you were actually doing the grade which I found very odd.  I'll try BATD again - fingers crossed!

Esme, PM me next week (very busy up till Thurs!) & I'll type you an outline of the syllabus. As I only have up to Elementary then Associate it's

Thank you Fit and Float that is so kind of you. My next question is how do I PM you? I have emailed BATD but have not heard from them yet.

As far as I can remember (and school closed for summer so can't check at the moment) DD's school use BATD for the very young children, then they move over to RAD from Pre-Primary - I think it's to do with, as in an earlier post, that there is a wider content for the younger ones maybe(?).

All the children then work through the RAD grades, however every 2-3 years they sit a BATD 'medal'.

Then once they've completed RAD Grade 7 they take another BATD exam (I think it's Associates) - as this gives them a qualifications in both syllabus if they want to go into Dance Teaching.  This is done as an extra whilst they work through the Grade 8 content.

Possibly they get around having to complete all the BATD grades by doing it this way - or the head of the school has come to some agreement with BATD.

Sorry but I don't know any more detail about BATD.

Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but this is my experience/knowledge of BATD.

• Like 1

Ooo now the medals are a separate thing, I was under the impression you needed at least Elementary to do associate (teaching) as it is with most exam boards. However, maybe it's Elementary standard/any ballet Elementary (or Intermediate as most commonly known now)? I know years ago girls who did associates without having done the appropriate BATD grades (could've changed) all very vague & bizarre!

These comments from yourself and invisiblecircus are very interesting. I think I'll try and contact BATD again and see if I have any joy.  They previously said that the dance school would have the syllabus, however, the dance studio wouldn't let you see the syllabus unless you were actually doing the grade which I found very odd.  I'll try BATD again - fingers crossed!

I have since emailed BATD and received a response that you cannot purchase their ballet syllabi because they would not want any person using these to teach without being part of BATD.  I still find this very unusual, given that there is no such concern when accessing BBO syllabi.  I did try!

• 4 weeks later...