RBS at 18

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to audition for royal ballet upper school to start in the first year at age 18?

I emailed RBS with this query months ago but have yet to get a reply ☺️

On the application form it says that you can apply between the ages of 16 -18 (ages as of 31 August) I suspect the reality is that not many 18 year olds are accepted into 1st year. Maybe direct entry into 2nd year or graduate year if you have what they are looking for.

• Like 1

On the RBS website under applications, there is an age of entry section where you can download a table which will let you know if you are within the age limits. Here is the link http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AgeChart_2013-14.pdf

With regards to applying to the school (as with any others), if you are eligible, I'd suggest submitting an application. Nothing ventured, nothing gained : )

Guest dancer2027

I applied at 18, the reply back said that they couldn't offer a place because my age required me to go into at least 2nd year and they lacked places and their students were very advanced. Wasn't expecting to get in but it was a nicer rejection letter than the usual ones!

However go for it, no point in not trying, and there were quite a few 18 year olds in that audition, for me it was because I wanted a levels first. 

• Like 2

I assume that there are very few places available for the second year as they are filled with first years who have moved up (unless the school assesses out - does that happen? - or a student decides to leave of his or her own accord). However, as has been said many times before, if a school really wants you it will find a place for you. I assume that some of the Prix de Lausanne prizewinners come straight into the second or third year as well.

For the past few years at least, 17/18 year-old prize winners of Prix de Lausanne tend to became an Apprentice rather than going to the upperschool.

Although may be some of the finalists get a place in the upper school?

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I think I'm definitely give it a go just to have the experience of audition. Let's be honest the worst they can say is no haha:)