Northern Ballet - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Northern Ballet's Spring Tour has started its next phase with A Midsummer Night's Dream, which was in Norwich last week and is in Milton Keynes and Southampton over the next 2.

I'm in MK on Saturday!

Here's a review from Norwich to whet your appetite!

Are you going to Soton B3? It's not too far from Bristol!

• Like 2

Ooh, this one had completely gone under the radar for me! Thanks for the heads-up.

Hmm, that is tempting! But I'll have to see. I'm already going to four ballets in the next week... And the deposit for a flat isn't going to save itself up...

I might make this a last-minute-if-there-are-good-seats-still-going-and-I-can-find-a-ballet-buddy special. :)

• Like 1

I might make this a last-minute-if-there-are-good-seats-still-going-and-I-can-find-a-ballet-buddy special. :)

If you can possibly manage it you should see this ballet,

I saw it in Leeds last September at the end of the run and something very special happened that Saturday evening. The company danced better than I had ever seen them dance before and the audience was particularly receptive. It was one of only three occasions when there has been a standing ovation.

• Like 1

Saw the performance in MK last night - great fun and really entertaining. The sets are brilliant :)

It begins before curtain-up as act 1 is set in a ballet studio. We wandered into the auditorium to take our seats about 15 minutes before the start, and found the dancers were already on stage in-character and 'warming up'' - it is all part of the performance.

• Like 2

Janet, I booked to see this with DD for her Birthday treat following your post back in February in Doing Dance about the Northern Ballet workshops!  We saw it tonight in MK and it was excellent - thoroughly enjoyed it!

We're taking DD and 4 of her dancing friends to the workshop tomorrow - they've all been looking forward to it since DD's birthday in March - thank you for keeping us all up to date :)

• Like 2

I saw the matinee on Saturday and it was absolutely splendid.

Ashley Dixon strikes just the right note as Theseus/Oberon.  His duet with Hipppolyta in act 1 where he was trying to persuade her to retire was just sublime - the range of emotions he and Pippa Moore managed to convey was breath-taking.

The young lovers - Joseph Taylor (Demetrius), Isaac Lee Baker (Lysander), Antoinette Brooks Daw (Helena) and Dreda Blow (Hermia) were all terrific and showed off the breadth of talent throughout the company.  Darren Goldsmith was totally subsumed into the role of Bottom.

All in all, a great performance.

• 2 weeks later...