Anne Boleyn by Howard Brenton

billboyd

I read the play (the closest I get to seeing British theatre these days) a couple of years ago and found it very interesting. It gives Anne Boleyn more dimensions than she's usually given credit for. Hope you have a good run, and I hope the weather behaves for the outdoor performances!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw 'Anne Boleyn' this week and loved it.  Our own dear Bill Boyd  made a very striking and convincing  Cardina Wolsey. duplicitous and authoritative in his crimson robes in Putney Arts Theatre's production of Howard Brenton' s  play'.  Held at the company’s own theatre - a beautifully converted church in Putney's Ravenna Road, it was the first time I'd seen a work by  Brenton, and I was both surprised and thriled by it.  I'd somehow got the idea that Brenton was a grimly leftie sort of playwright, but there was no sign of that here.  His Anne (played movingly by Kate Kenyon) was presented as a strong, determined character but also as a beautiful sexual creature and a touchingl human one.  There was much  wit in the play  (though I do wonder if James I was really that camp?) as well as a clear account of the history-changing politics that characterised Henry VIII's reign.  All the leads were strongly played (not a weak link amongst them) and  our. attention was riveted from beginning to end, not something once can say about most amateur productions -  the evening seemed to fly by.

There are now only two further performances – on 12th and 13th July and they’re in the open air -. the old burial ground  behind the church (or very close by)   Could be nice for a picnic if the evening is balmy enough.   Putney Arts Theatre 0208 788 6943

Edited by Ann Williams
  • Like 4