Laines Summer School

Has anyone's child ever done this?

It looks great but I'm thinking it might just be 12 months too soon for dd

The minimum age is 12 & the minimum standard is working at Inter Foundation in either ballet, jazz or tap

Dd is 12, she began IF ballet this academic year but doesn't do jazz (does modern but below IF at the moment) & I'm not sure what her tap level is (I'd guess around G4 ish type of standard )

Also the accommodation is with host families, not sure how that works with a 12 year old in terms of travel & supervision.

It is truly wonderful..  amazing teachers from the school, you cannot fault the organisation, the host families do it most years, they are very well looked after, my dd had the time of her life... tears when it all ended, but friends made that she still keeps in contact with. At the end of the week they put on a performance which I have no idea how they manage it in a week... even with costumes...... I seriously cannot recommend it highly enough

DDs friend did this and absolutely loved it also.  She had family nearby so stayed with them.  She was 14 and in intermediate ballet but her modern would have been about grade 4 and she had never done tap.  I don't know if they split them in groups or how it is organised but she felt it was pitched just right for her.

When my DD did Tring easter school when she was 10 she was a little out of her depth with tap and Jazz and didn't really enjoy it.  However, she loved it this time.  Knowing what to expect was key to this I think. 

Going to a course where your DD may be aiming for later on seems like a very good idea to me.  If she isn't planning on being a ballet dancer then a ballet course may not be money well spent?? My DD is still undecided so we're doing a bit of both

• Like 1

When my DD did Tring easter school when she was 10 she was a little out of her depth with tap and Jazz and didn't really enjoy it. However, she loved it this time. Knowing what to expect was key to this I think.

Going to a course where your DD may be aiming for later on seems like a very good idea to me. If she isn't planning on being a ballet dancer then a ballet course may not be money well spent?? My DD is still undecided so we're doing a bit of both

Yes that's true. But at the moment it's ballet technique she needs to keep getting through her assessments.

She loves tap, I think that's fast becoming her "thing"

she was 11 the 1st time  13 the 2nd and 14 the 3rd ...they are put into groups but all get the same amount of dances in the show.... it is split into Dance and MT and they go to see a show in London too ..my daughter does not do tap and you only audition for the tap number if you want to.....