Scottish Ballet - Hansel and Gretel

Scottish Ballet's new production of Hansel and Gretel opens in Glasgow on 10th December 2013.

I have started this thread so that people can record their thoughts on performances.

In the meantime the company has issued some video links to whet our appetities!

To see a special Halloween make up tutorial inspired by our Witch and created by MAC Senior Make Up Artist Caroline Donnelly visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1Xqo6py-U

Hansel & Gretel has been created with the input of the people of Scotland.  To watch a short feature on this outreach project, Hansel & Gretel, and Me visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVsQPHgyQo

This year, as part of the Hansel & Gretel tour Scottish Ballet will also present Wee Hansel & Gretel – a wee version of a big ballet for pre-school age, see a short trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89O8WB9oBI (warning, it’s very cute!) J

• 1 month later...

I saw it last night, really enjoyed it! Went specifically to last night's performance to see Eve Mutso as the witch - she is fabulous & didn't disappoint! Liked the ravens too. Only critiscm would be I would've liked to see more ensemble dancing - lots of solos/storytelling but the corps pieces were very short. But I guess it could've easily become similar to Nutcracker then. But a great night, & audience all seemed to enjoy.

• Like 1

I saw the ballet on Saturday and enjoyed it thoroughly. If anyone is interested I reviewed it today in http://jelterps.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/scottish-ballets-hansel-and-gretel.html.  

Incidentally, I also enjoyed earlier in the afternoon the "Hansel and Gretel" tea at the Blythswood Hotel described in the blog post that Janet McNulty referred to earlier in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Alison.

I have followed Scottish Ballet for many years even before they came to Glasgow and I got to know them well when they moved to Scotland in 1969 which I have mentioned in http://jelterps.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/scottish-ballet.html.

I am very impressed with the My Hansel and Gretel project where the company worked with the Library and Galleries of Scotland and other bodies to involve the public in the development of the ballet. I should like to see other companies do that, particularly those like Northern Ballet and Ballet Cymru which also identify with a region or nation.  It would be good for the company and dance generally in that it would create an audience and it would be good for the public.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a new guy here. Age 47. in North East Scotland.  I saw Hansel and Gretel and liked it. Takes me a few performances to take all new ballets in but was good. I like Christopher Hampson and feel he got the feel of our smaller theaters right. I say in nice way but ending got me emotionally with younger dancers and the audience loved it. I think Christopher Hampson is going for the popular ballets that will get in Audiences. Ashley Page was great after a turbulent period of financial issues and but I could not get my head around his modern twists of the stories. I guess I just like the classics.

I do wonder if Chris Hampson has a bigger budget or is he just good at getting the best out what he has financially. Either way I am back for Scottish Ballet after a break.

Having said that I loved Mathew Bournes Highland Fling and alot of his work.  I think Christopher Hampson was inspired by some of Bournes style.

The whole thing though whetted my appetite for bringing back a refreshed version of Peter Darrell's Nutcracker. He used youngsters from the ballet schools and I saw it as a kid. Cant wait till next year.

I am a ballet geek and my interest is entire history of ballet. Don't ask questions not that good! Just last 500 years please! Help!

Edited by Euan
  • Like 2

Euan

"The whole thing though whetted my appetite for bringing back a refreshed version of Peter Darrell's Nutcracker."

I am also looking forward to Nutcracker. I shall make a special trip to Glasgow to see it.

I am also a fan of what is now Scottish Ballet and I followed it even before it came to Scotland. It was the first company that I got to know as it was the only company I could see during term when I was at St Andrews. I remember Peter Darrell very well and also his ballerina, Elaine McDonald.  

I have already bought tickets for Scottish Ballet's Romeo and Juliet when they come to Sadler's Wells.

Another Scottish company that I like is Ballet West in Taynuilt near Oban. I think the company is a bit like Ballet Central, an opportunity for the kids to dance before an audience, I can't think of anywhere better to study ballet than the banks of a sea loch surrounded by hills and woods. Real Gurn and Effie country. The fact that one of their students got a medal in last year's Genee and is now dancing with Scottish Ballet says a lot for them. The company is now touring small towns in Scotland with Swan Lake and I hope to catch them in Pitlochry, weather permitting.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I'm new here.  I very much enjoyed Hansel & Gretel and I'm looking forward to Nutcracker next Christmas!  It was lovely to see so many student dancers involved, 3 or  4 I think, from various dance schools. The genee bronze medalist from Ballet West was one of the students taking part for the duration of the H&G tour along with 2 others. It was a shame they were only in a couple of fairly simple core dances and we didn't really get to see what they can do. All in all it was a lovely production especially for the younger members of the audience!

• Like 1